South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby fredsmith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 pm

_THEO_ wrote:If only there was an "ice cream to the forehead" smiley.
This will have to do.. haha

I was thinking more along the lines of...... Image
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Chris i would reply on the forum but would rather not waste my time.
If you'd like to know anything further you an PM me if you are capable of such tasks.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hoss » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:56 pm

chris vd merwe wrote:blah blah ... you know what I'm proud to have a friend like him BECAUSE HE WILL HELP ME WHEN I NEED HELP AND NOT TRY TO MAKE MY NAME BAD LIKE SOME OF YOU! ...blah

You're comparing the harsh words you've received here to this man's kindness? In what way will he help you? In what way will he be your friend? Save your life after a snake bite? Come rushing to carry you off to the latest greatest hospital (which our country is just over flowing with) with doctors fully informed as to all possible complications that may arise from the specific toxic properties of the venomous snake bite, standing there waiting just for you? All arranged by him? Will he fly in anti venom from wherever it may be within the hour to save you life? Will he then go so far as to make a deal with God that you react positively to the anti venom? Once you've complete your stay in the hospital will he pay your bill? Will he see to it that if your kidneys or other organs have been severely damaged, that you receive the life long treatment that will be required?

The amount of "help" that he can offer you as you so excitedly highlighted above, is of little to no value, compared to the rather cold, harsh yet truthful advice you've received above. Having someone "make your name bad" is the least of your concerns after a venomous snake bite. Stop being stupid. Listen to those that have ridiculed you, they did it for a good reason.
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:05 pm

All the typing was probably useless but feel free to read it if you can...
Ok...lets explain it nice and slowly...

chris vd merwe wrote:guys that guy with the green mamba is a good guy

-First of all...No one said he was a bad guy...just not the sharpest tool in the shed (dumb).I'm sure a 5 year old would tell you the same !

chris vd merwe wrote:maybe he just knows how to work with these snakes much better then most of you!

-I love how you point out that he MIGHT (from "maybe",so you can understand) know how to work with these snakes.Belive me he certainly does not know...

chris vd merwe wrote:! yes you might think I'm still young and what do I know afterall,Im the guy with the boomslang on my shoulder!

-Age has zero to do with anything...I am 21 and have been keeping and working with snakes since I was 6 (recently including some of the most venomous in the world) and I am at times almost "over careful" when working with them.(others aswell)

chris vd merwe wrote: you know what I'm proud to have a friend like him BECAUSE HE WILL HELP ME WHEN I NEED HELP AND NOT TRY TO MAKE MY NAME BAD LIKE SOME OF YOU

-He might be a good friend but honestly...if he keeps it up he wont be around much longer ! (so we're actually tring to help stop this from happening by pointing out how dumb the above is).
-No one tried to make your name bad...YOU DID IT YOURSELF,WITH THE HELP OF YOUR FRIENDS !
-If you need help in dealing with reptiles...have a look under courses on the forum...it will help ?!

The reason everyone is going crazy about you "tarzan's" is simple...you are going to spoil the industry for those that are responsible and have invested/dedicated their lifes to working with/keeping/trading in these animals.I for one hope that you realize what you are playing with-I've seen how wrong it can go !

Also feel free to contact me if you really need help...I even know one or two psycohologists if its needed !!! ;)
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Sooo many pictures of this guy free-handling - hope the link works - Natie Swart on Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 0726196992
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Hoss wrote:
You're comparing the harsh words you've received here to this man's kindness? In what way will he help you? In what way will he be your friend? Save your life after a snake bite? Come rushing to carry you off to the latest greatest hospital (which our country is just over flowing with) with doctors fully informed as to all possible complications that may arise from the specific toxic properties of the venomous snake bite, standing there waiting just for you? All arranged by him? Will he fly in anti venom from wherever it may be within the hour to save you life? Will he then go so far as to make a deal with God that you react positively to the anti venom? Once you've complete your stay in the hospital will he pay your bill? Will he see to it that if your kidneys or other organs have been severely damaged, that you receive the life long treatment that will be required?

The amount of "help" that he can offer you as you so excitedly highlighted above, is of little to no value, compared to the rather cold, harsh yet truthful advice you've received above. Having someone "make your name bad" is the least of your concerns after a venomous snake bite. Stop being stupid. Listen to those that have ridiculed you, they did it for a good reason.

Hit dat man one tousand dolla!

I think that possibly sums it up better than anyone else has explained yet.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby chris vd merwe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 pm

okay,I was wrong no :smt013 about that,lets leave the past now and look what we can do to prevent this from happening again. . from my side I made on hell of a mistake by putting the boomslang on my shoulder but also please just understand my view in things! fooble I'm sorry man was wrong of me I am the wrong one here no you. . and sorry to all you guys! :smt006

please can we drop this here and go on? I'm asking very nicely!! :D
chris vd merwe
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby dasie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:29 pm

We were teached buy Denvor carrot to free handle boomslang,hook and tail puffys etc. We did not know other people that also gives "courses". We thought that what we were doing was the right way of handling venomous snakes. like Chris said look at it from our point of view. Now we know better eg. do not even try to hook and tail a puffy etc. Whats done is done,and wont be done again(by me).
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Gotta say mate, that's already a step into correct direction. Get some decent equipment AND for pete's sake stay away from the sharp end!
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Geeez! This has been an entertaining but also very serious 10 pages of debates. Who is winning the Darwin award by the way??? For those clowns free handling...... Do some homework on snake bite please. What the books dont go into detail about is the aftermath of being bitten. Anaphelactic shock is no joke and we lost a great man at the Transvaal Snake Park many years ago (Paul St John Olsen) after getting tagged in one of his demos by a Snouted Cobra..... His last words 5minutes after the bite was "i can feel my legs tinggling". He passed away not long after that. His previous bite was from a puff adder which he had pinned correctly, but had taken his eyes off it for a split second and it moved, setting one fang in his finger. That left a terrible scar on his hand plus was possibly the primary factor resulting in his allergic reaction to his death. Alergic reactions to snake venom vary from each person, but make no mistake......YOU WILL DIE if you go about with a cowboy attitude. Ive been in this game for a while and it takes alot to get respect from the top guys, but im never to old to ask advice or to admit i c#@p myself on every potential venomous call out i do. The snake handling courses are fantastic especially from a treatment point of view, but they dont keep your hands from quivering when you have a 2.8m black mamba "smiling" at you from behind a fridge. What im saying is that you can do as many courses as you like, but if you have a super inflated ego and go about with a "blazay" attitude, you will come off second best! Now can we please hand out the awards........ i cant wait any longer!!! :smt006
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Well I don't know about you guys, but I think that Chris disqualified himself from a Darwin award for the time being!

I think the award should go to those that taught them that boomslangs, although extremely venomous, won't bite! So let's all get a live boomslang scarf this winter to keep us warm! I'm pretty sure that he felt some peer pressure, which may also have been one of the reasons he did "wear" the snake scarf!

Maybe we never free handled a snake before, but seriously we all deserved a D-award at some stage in our lifes for something, otherwise we would not be human, and would not have something too look back at and laugh at our selves for being so stupid! Personally I grabbed a sharp by the tail some years ago, because the guy on TV did it and got away with it, I did too, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna try my luck again! Sometime we get away with DUMB stuff so we can get some wisdom later in life, sometimes we don't!

Chris you got lucky and it seems you learned something! Now don't go waist your life getting tagged by some highly venomous snake because you forgot the lesson learned! You will forever remember that you had the experience of a boomslang around your neck and got away with it!

Anyways will be interesting to see who gets the award, I'm rooting for "The snake wisperer" he even made the newspaper with his stupidity, sticking his head under a fridge while still feeling the effects of his Birthday party when when he got tagged on his lip! Don't know if it is on this topic or another, if not BV please add the link because we have to nominate him!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:54 am

please can we drop this here and go on? I'm asking very nicely!!

Yes please!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 am

Aww that makes me sad!
People have worked so hard to earn their awards.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby steve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

Please can some of you learn to type in paragraphs. Thanks
As for the free handling of venomous snakes, only morons with no value for their own well being and the well being of the hobby would attempt such utter stupidity, bottom line period!

This sent chills down my spine, so for all the "hero's" out there, good luck and may the force be with you.
armata wrote:All I want to say is that I wish for one moment I could put these guys in my place on March 31st when the world went dark and I stopped breathing.
Not fun guys.

Thats all i have to say.
Regards
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Please can some of you learn to type in paragraphs. Thanks

I agree Steve.

So many pages, so many comments. There is only one winner and he has earned it big time.....NATIE!!!

I might have the winning image somewhere in a file of a very prominent member here or ex-member, but that won't achieve anything. :)

Great read though. :lol:
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements