Hi, I'm new!

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Hi, I'm new!

Postby Pieter89 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi!

I'm Pieter and I'm from Durbanville. I am currently a post-grad LLB (law) student studying at Stellenbosch after finishing my BCom degree last year. I recently became interested in snakes when I caught a Common Brown water snake in Stellenbosch. Kept it for one day and released it again (actually it released itself... good escape artist - luckily outside), but it hooked me! :lol: I was never really afraid of snakes, a little bit cautious, but nothing more. This was at the start of the year and I started researching reptiles quite a bit. I spent countless hours on the internet, found this forum, found LOADS of info and then decided to buy myself a corn snake.

I bought a female Anerythristic corn, named her Medusa.
If it weren't for the fact that I'm studying and staying in a residence and my girlfriend being realistic and slowing me down in collecting I'm pretty sure I would've gone mad and spent all my money on snakes already, but I decided to rather start slowly...

This is a few pics of my "setup" and Medusa.

An exo-terra cage I got on gumtree for next to nothing

A custom-built terrarium...

And Medusa

Pieter
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hi, I'm new!

Postby Badasti » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:04 am

Welcome to the forum an the world of reptiles! Great place to meet fellow enthusiasts and expand your knowledge. Careful though. It is an addiction! Started off with a chameleon and have just got my 10th reptile today (baby red tail :D ). In the dog box with my fiance as a result!! Our lounge is getting a little cramped haha. Nice layout you got there for the lil guy. Enjoy!
Badasti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fangfan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Hello Pieter,
You have a real nice setup. I'm also one of the 'noobs' here, and find myself browsing the forum for nice pics like yours. (often)
Medusa is a real beauty.
Awesome pics!
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 pm

oh good! Another student of the law who loves snakes. Welcome Peter. Thanks for the pics. I remember when I got my first snakes and how anxious I was to do everything right. Seven years later and a whole bunch of snakes. Hope you stick around for a long time. It's a fascinating hobby.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for the replies! Yes Boadicea, its a facinating hobby indeed! :D
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:03 am

Looks like the bug has bitten, soon you'll be wanting more and more, reptiles become an addiction lol.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Introductions