Bob Clark's facility burnt down

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Bob Clark's facility burnt down

Postby wickedexotix » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 am

That is devistating, but glad to hear he is getting back on his feet, would he have been covered by insurance for livestock as well as every thing else. My broker got me livestock insurance against a fire in my snakeroom for R150000 which costs me all of R15 a month ontop of my household insurance. I think anybody with a reasonable collection should have some sort of cover as a fire is not only soul destroying but sometimes financialy destroying aswell.
wickedexotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:08 pm

wickedexotix wrote:... My broker got me livestock insurance against a fire in my snakeroom for R150000 ......

What about theft? Does this only cover the snakes that burn to death because many will die weeks later from smoke inhalation.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pieter89 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Bushviper wrote:
wickedexotix wrote:... My broker got me livestock insurance against a fire in my snakeroom for R150000 ......

What about theft? Does this only cover the snakes that burn to death because many will die weeks later from smoke inhalation.

Interesting legal question. It will depend on the insurer. Fire and theft normally go together - but may be excluded in certain insurance policies... The problem with theft might be to prove that there was indeed theft and not escape... But there should be forced entry unless it was an employee.

Smoke inhalation - if it is a direct consequence of the fire and it can be proven, the animal's insured cost can probably be claimed. Vet fees will be the problem here and will require a different type of insurance.

As I said it will depend on the insurer and loads of insurance companies can find loopholes... But with a decent insurer this is definitely something to look at, especially at such low cost. :idea:
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:50 pm

i don't believe that the words 'decent' and 'insurer' belong in the same sentence ~ not in SA anyway. I am very glad that he is turning his loss into something positive. Good on you bob clarke! May you go on to produce many more beautiful animals
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to News and Announcements