Botswana Legalities

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Botswana Legalities

Postby fatman » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 am

Does anyone know the procedure to get a permit to keep a indigenous snake (eg BHS) in Botswana?

I have called National Parks and Wildlife and no one has a clue :(

-Edited- Please check you spelling and punctuation before you post-
"There are three things too wonderful for me, yea four which i do not understand....the way of a serpent upon a rock" Prov 30 vs 18, 19
fatman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Botswana Legalities

Postby fatman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Update...according to the office for "Utilisation" at departmebnt of national parks and wildlife, it is illegal to catch, transport or be in any possession of any wild animal without a license.(????) Thus in order to be in possession of any snake one should write a letter to the director of national parks and wildlife stating the species, why it is you want it, what you intend to use it for, what you intend to feed it, how you intend to house it, how you intend to keep the public safe from this animal....one gets the feeling that the request is frwoned upon.
"There are three things too wonderful for me, yea four which i do not understand....the way of a serpent upon a rock" Prov 30 vs 18, 19
fatman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am

I reckon it's more like anti-poaching measures. They are not going to dish out licenses to anybody that asks for one without a little reassurance. Put yourself in their shoes, how would you seperate the goodies from the baddies at this level? I would help them get to know you be answering their questions in a friendly manner and try forge a working relationship. Once they know you it will become easier.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 am

Ask them what the definition of a wild animal is as well. We know it does not include a fish. Does it include insects? Does it include frogs? Does it include snakes. Possibly they just sent you a generic answer.

The next question is does it include exotic animals too. If so does it include exotic birds and fish or just mammals and reptiles. Once you can find out what the law states you can take it from there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities