bullfrog dead??

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

bullfrog dead??

Postby _THEO_ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:02 pm

I got the bullfrog from a friend of mine about 5 months ago and its been doing very well with me. At the end of may it started eating much less than usual and was under ground more than usual so I asumed it is starting to hibernate. I replaced the large water bowl with a smaller one and added a bowl to keep superworms in for if he decides to be hungry again.. The frog grew quite a thick layer of skin and for the last month he wouldn't move more than from one corner to the other in the cold side of the tank but today when I got home he had covered him self with leaves on the warm side of the tank and was dead.?

On my part I did everything to the book. He always had food and in the 5 months he ate 2 mice and I cleaned his water bowl every day. The frog was about 8 cm long and the tank is 60cm by 40cm. The tank is filled about 10 cm with peat, has light during the day and has a small heating pad agains side of the tank on the warm side. The warm side has a bit of leaves just to prevent the peat from drying out too much.

Can anyone help me with why the frog could've died?

And just for the record I did apply for a permit and if I knew where the frog came from I would've released it.
You never know everything.....
You can learn from everyone....
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Re: bullfrog dead??

Postby Sico » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Everything dies eventually Theo, there isn't always a cause. I doubt they have very long lifespans. Sounds like it was going into hibernation and preparing itself a "cocoon" for this. Was it P. adspersus or P. edulis?
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby _THEO_ » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:36 pm

I doubt it just died. It was a P. Adspersus so it was pretty small still.I had the same feeling about the cocoon that's why wasn't worried about it.
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:17 am

Hi there Theo,
at 8cm, a mouse sounds like a very large meal for it - ours were still on pinks/fuzzies at that point. Perhaps it had difficulty digesting its large meal as it was preparing to hibernate?
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby _THEO_ » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:37 pm

That was just a guess. I measured the waterbowl and it measures 20 cm across so the frog was between 10 and 12cm then. Sorry.
It ate a lot of crickets and superworms after it ate the mice and before going into hibernation. I fed it the last mouse more than 2 months ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 am

Theo, please don't think I am questioning your knowledge, I just want to ask a very stupid question; are you sure the frog was dead?

I have seen some Bullfrogs in their cocoons and they look dead and feel dead. Very dry and stiff. If I hadnt been told, I would think they were dead.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby _THEO_ » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:34 am

Haha 90 percent of the people I've told asked me the same question. The frogs nostrils were shut and I did almost everything to make sure he is dead because I felt the same way.I just wish I could know how he died.

It was the frogs first winter in captivity so I don't know if that made a difference. Perhaps ,like Sico said, he just died or maybe he was a weaker member in the gene pool but I doubt it.

Since the day I got the frog I kept reminding my self what Donald, from khamai reptile, told me about 2 years ago: " bullfrogs are seasonal and don't belong in captivity ." So I tried to simulate the frogs natural habits and environment as much as possible.

I know there are quite a bit of people with bull frogs. Are they captive bred and how are they kept?
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:06 am

I have to go with Westley on this one :)

Unless the frog smells real bad and has maggots eating its belly out, I wouldn't give up hope. They can appear to be very dead when in a dormant state.

And the reason I know this is because I also though mine had died during the first winter I had it. Although it sometimes moved a bit, it acted very lifeless for about 5 months, eventually waking up and eating like a machine when spring arrived.
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby _THEO_ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:32 am

I'm 100 percent sure its dead guys. Haha
It was rock hard but not dry
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Return to RIP