Hey,how do you find snakes easily?

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Hey,how do you find snakes easily?

Postby iluvsnakes » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey all! I catch snakes all the time by flipping rocks and the usual,but I would just like to know if there is any means of finding snakes easily...And how to find snakes in termite mounds?
iluvsnakes
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Hey,how do you find snakes easily?

Postby Aaxel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:08 pm

There is no exact science to finding snakes, I like to just go out on warm nights with a hook and a bag and just keep my eyes open, I find the majority of snakes at night( I also got a stilleto snake bite at night, I was really inexperienced and grabbed it by the tail :( ).
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Aaxel i tend to disagree.

There are many important influential factors when you must consider when looking for snakes.
Things like Temperatures,lunar cycles,Air pressure ect.

Take note of conditions when you find snakes,times as well as time of year ect.
Most of all get to know conditions of the snakes you want to find.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rodwraylva » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Cloudy days for Aurora house snakes I hear?
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:44 pm

If your looking for a specific species of snake, then I agree.
however if your just looking for snakes in general, you'll find whatever the conditions are favorable for.
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Sorry, fogot to say this in first post, but um, how does air pressure affect snakes if they have no ears??
not arguing, just curious.
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Aaxel wrote:Sorry, fogot to say this in first post, but um, how does air pressure affect snakes if they have no ears??
not arguing, just curious.

The barometric pressure is a indication of the possiblity or prediction of rain and temperature fluctuations. Although I do not know if snakes are as sensitive to these changes but their prey are (most mamals and birds).

But with out any proof I can say that from pers. obs. snakes are more active with a decreased barometric pressure. Especially in the drier areas of southern africa where that is a indication of rain.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Shipping off topic hear and going onto baromic pressure..... I suspect that it does have an effect. Baromic pressure effects many things in nature, fish being a great example. Before a cold front (high pressure) fish will be found in feeding frenzy's to stock up on food. They will be found in shallower water where they eat bait fish. As the cold front (low pressure) comes through they decend to deeper water where water temps are more stable. My theory about atmospheric pressure in reptiles is during breeding. Take not next time your reptiles breed and make note of not just the temps, but also the external factors outside and whats going on with the weather. I also pay attention to moon phases. This may be extreme, but it is a theory and a fairly valid one i think. It could also possibly lead to easier keeping and breeding of reptiles that have been challenging in the past. As for finding snakes easily.... dunno if there is an easy way. Nature does its own thing but knowing your taget specimen and its behaviour is key.
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:27 pm

And fooble summed it up in one sentence..... I need to learn to look better! lol! Could of saved myself typing and you all reading.
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Ha ha Rob.

Id say biggest Factors for certain reptile "findings" is moon phase sometimes ill check the phase and won't even bother going out if it's wrong.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby snake kid » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Hey fooble, that's quite interesting could you PM me a bit more of the specifics on that if you don't mind.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Me too if you don't mind and don't want to share publically, sounds interesting.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 am

What phases do you find more favourable?? I have never really taken particular attention to that. I can only presume it cant be to productive during a full moon due to high visibility and predatory animals will then have better visuals on anything moving.
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes