Viper Not Eating

Viper Not Eating

Postby TheJester » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi
I have a white lip that is not eating. He has always been a battle to feed, but has eaten week in and week out with a bit of encouragement. However for the last 4 weeks he has not eaten. I tease him, he strikes it, but does not actually bite it. After awhile he will bite it. However he does not eat it. His enclosure is at about 25-30 deg and I mist him daily.

Any advice would be good, I am really starting to worry about him.
White Lip Tree Viper 0.0.1
Striped California King 0.1.0
Sinaloan Milk 0.0.1
Black Mexican King 1.0.0

Idle minds are the devil’s playground
TheJester
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Viper Not Eating

Postby Qball » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:05 am

I wouldn't stress about it too much. Keep an eye on him and if he doesnt seem to be losing weight/condition rapidly, then he should be fine. My male has gone for longer between some feeds and,he is still in good health. He seems to have the attitude that he will eat when he wants to, not when I want him to... You could try scent it with a geckos tail? When I do feed mine I've noticed he will only take food if its dark.
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 am

Most of the male vipers I’ve worked with tend to go off the feed sometime for months on end. I believe this may have to do with breeding cycles. Generally they do not tend to lose too much condition. Even though you don’t have a female around he may still be reacting to some breeding cue. Don’t stress to much about him, and like Qball said try feed him at night after a nice misting.
Good luck
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bob H » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:22 am

Once a week might be pushing him a bit too. I usually feed aboreal vipers on 10day to 2 week schedules.
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)