My new Naja pallida

My new Naja pallida

Postby Smeegle » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey,

Just thought I'd share a pic of my new Naja pallida.

Such a honey of a snake, makes my house snakes seem evil:)

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My new Naja pallida

Postby Fooble » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Looks good post shed man.
I see you figured how the camera works by now too ;)
I'm sure they would seem evil to a house snake too!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby JeffG » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:03 am

Wow! Stunner of a snake, I would love to get some but I am a bit apprehensive with the amount of spitting I've heard they do, but seeing beauties like this is quickly making the spitting seem like less and less of an issue. Lol

Enjoy,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 am

Now thats a pretty snake! Great photo too.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:44 am

Some specimens will spray continuously even as adults. If they do, just close most of the glass and they dont mess it up that much.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby vuduman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:17 pm

Thats a beaut.Your camera skills are also improving :) I am allergic to those.I start to cough and sneeze and my lungs get heavy when walking into a room with those,but I heard somewhere...when you clean the cages,spray it with a bit of water so the dust settles before cleaning.And I have done this in the past.It helps.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks, Ninja:)

Yeah, I definitely agree. The day I bought him, the entire place smelled of "super deadly WWII chlorine gas". I could definitely feel it in my chest. But now that he has settled down the place seems normal again.

Good advice on the spraying procedure too. The oke I bought him from actually suggested the same thing. Apparently even their faeces are saturated with venom.

Gotta keep this guy calm and teach him to say it and not spray it:)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Stunning snake and great pic man !One of my fav. Naja species...

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 pm

What about one-way glass film, is it expensive ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:23 pm

it_bit_me wrote:What about one-way glass film, is it expensive ?

I did some Googling and it seems it could just work, at least in the day when the cage light is on:

http://www.klingshield.co.za/One_Way_Mirror%E2%80%9D_by_Klingshield

Consumers perceive one way mirror as viewed in movies, where police use a viewing room to identify criminals through a one way mirror piece of glass. This is a bit of a myth, as one way glass is not manufactured and is only achieved by the utilisation of light in conjunction with reflective glass.

In other words, the viewing room must have less light than the opposite side. This is how police forces throughout the world make up viewing rooms to watch criminals during an interview or identify parade. The amount of light in the suspected criminal’s area is six times greater than the light source in the viewing room.

In our application, when the cage light is on the amount of light in the "viewing room" will usually be much less than in the "criminal’s area".

Just wonder if the mirror will irritate the snake. It may get upset by its reflection....
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm

That is a brilliant idea!Probably a good idea for rhinovipers aswell so you can actually view them without them stressing out :)
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Easy way to find out. Attach a mirror to the out side of the glass and see how the snake reacts. It might just see it as another snake and with that a threat which would stress them out even more.

If they don't mind the reflection then you can go the one way glass route, if it doesn't work, you will know before investing any money
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Or if you want to go full out, and spend a small fortune... Electrochromic/Smart/SPD glass... Probably darn expensive, and purely for looks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass

And to see how it works...

http://electricglasswall.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=54
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:33 am

That’s a stunner Smeegle, I absolutely love the Red spitters. How old is he?

I once got a hatchling Mozambique Spitter who only spat once! After that he just stopped and never spat again! He was also possibly the calmest Naja i have ever seen!

Good luck with your Red Spitter, I hope you get a mate and breed them!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Smeegle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:03 am

michael wrote:That’s a stunner Smeegle, I absolutely love the Red spitters. How old is he?

I once got a hatchling Mozambique Spitter who only spat once! After that he just stopped and never spat again! He was also possibly the calmest Naja i have ever seen!

Good luck with your Red Spitter, I hope you get a mate and breed them!

Thanks Michael, he really is a super-chilled and handsome fellow!

I have no idea how old he is hey. The good news though is that Charl.dbn bought the female of the pair, so we plan to try and breed them as they did reproduce last season :D
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)