Has anyone got BABIES YET?

Has anyone got BABIES YET?

Postby Boakepper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 am

Just woundering if any one has babies yet?
Boakepper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Has anyone got BABIES YET?

Postby Boakepper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Ok i guess not! My female is in the blue so should have babies in a few days!!!! Cant wait!
Boakepper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Obviously you have never bred boas before. The boa shedding does not mean the babies will be here in a few days. You will be lucky if you have babies by November or December.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Boakepper » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Listen no offence but do you have to say it like that? Im here to learn im no snake expert thats why i joined on here! So now correct me if i am wrong! I worked it out from her ovulation shed wich by all the reading iv done its a 100 and something days and then she sheds again and then its 10 days after that i should have babies! Or is all the stuff i have been reading wrong?
Boakepper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:51 pm

I think its 108 days after the post ovulation shed. So you have about another 3 months or so to wait for them

Boas gestation period can range anything from 4 - 9 months if I'm not mistaken
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boakepper » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

But like im saying she has already had her post ovulation shed and after this shed now it should be 10 or so days then she should give birth! My snakes live together so they started early! She ovulated and then shed and from that shed i counted!
Boakepper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:28 pm

no that would have been your post ovulation shed, the previous one was probably your ovulation shed.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:45 am

Hope this will give you a better indication, it's not very detailed but you should get the basic time frames. This is from wikepedia.

Boa constrictors are ovoviviparous, giving birth to live young. They will generally breed in the dry season—between April and August—and are polygynous, thus males may mate with multiple females. A half of all females will breed in a given year, and a larger percentage of males will actively attempt to locate a mate. However due to the polygynous nature of Boa constrictor many of these males will be unsuccessful. The reasoning being the fact that they are ovovivparous. As such female boas without a good enough physical condition will be unlikely to attempt to mate, nor produce viable young if they do mate. In 2010, a boa constrictor was shown to have reproduced asexually via parthenogenesis.

During breeding season the female boa will emit a scent from her cloaca to attract males, who may then wrestle for the right to breed with her. During breeding the male will curl his tail around the females and the hemipenes will be inserted. Copulation can last from a few minutes to several hours, and may occur several times over a few week period. After this period ovulation may not occur immediately, however the female can hold the sperm inside her for up to one year. When the female ovulates, a mid-body swell can be noticed that appears similar to after the snake has eaten a large meal. The female will then shed 2 to 3 weeks after ovulation, with what is known as a post ovulation shed which will last another 2–3 weeks, which is longer than a normal shed. The gestation period, which is counted from the post ovulation shed, is approximately 100–120 days. The female will then give birth to young that average 15-20 inches (38–51 cm) in length. The litter size varies between females, but can be between 10 and 65 young with an average of 25, although some of the young may be still borns or non fertilised eggs known as "slugs". The young are independent at birth and will grow rapidly for the first few years, shedding regularly (once every one to two months). At between 3–4 years Boa constrictors become sexually mature and will have reached the adult size of between 6–10 ft, although they will continue to grow at a slow rate for the rest of their lives. At this point they will shed less frequently, approximately every 2–4 months.[18]
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby D@RRYL » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:20 am

Nice info leonthemenace.
The bible says we have been given the power to tred apon serpants and scorpion. Please watch your step....
D@RRYL
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Boakeeper, I am confused. You say you want to learn and that is why you joined the Forum, yet, when people whom I consider to be fairly well up to date in knowledge with the matter being queried, answer your question, you argue with them.
Bubblesharp and Leonthemenace, thanks for the info, I will be breeding my pair of RTB's next season and this info will come in handy.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boakepper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:27 am

rolandslf wrote:Boakeeper, I am confused. You say you want to learn and that is why you joined the Forum, yet, when people whom I consider to be fairly well up to date in knowledge with the matter being queried, answer your question, you argue with them.
Bubblesharp and Leonthemenace, thanks for the info, I will be breeding my pair of RTB's next season and this info will come in handy.
Where am I arguing I just don't think he answered very nice! Its called manners! The thing is I know it was her post ovulation shed cause. She swelled a lot and then shed like a week later! And if I recall off the top of my head its been almost 4 months since her last shed and she hasn't been eating the entire time! So that's why I'm saying but let her shed and then I'll see if she doesn't then I was wrong!
Boakepper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:45 am

No Problem, don't forget to post the baby pics, especially if something unusual is born.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boakepper » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 am

I hope i get something unusual my male has a solid black tale so i hope something unusual pops out! Another thing is that this shed is taking forever she still not out of blue yet!!! But ya is she doesnt give birth then i counted like a idiot :lol: But i hope i counted right!
Boakepper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Time will tell. Just be patient.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 am

My female still eats occasionally I offer her small rats about the size of an adult mice, she takes 2 - 3 every 10 days or so. Anything bigger she is not interested and tries to make friends with it. She is running out of space in her mid section and I believe that she will within the next few weeks stop taking even the small rats completely. She is just over 2m so 3 small rats is so small that she doesn't even open her mouth properly. She shed end of August and I don't expect to see little ones until Christmas or early in the new year. But they can sometimes surprise you.

Just keep in mind that some boas will go for months without feeding, when breeding, that is why she has to be in PERFECT condition before you start. Please post a pic of your pair when you get a chance, would love to see your male.

Boakepper wrote:I hope i get something unusual my male has a solid black tale so i hope something unusual pops out! Another thing is that this shed is taking forever she still not out of blue yet!!! But ya is she doesnt give birth then i counted like a idiot :lol: But i hope i counted right!

Hope you get something unusual in there. Keep us posted.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)