Western Cape Permit system

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Western Cape Permit system

Postby Dispholidus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:59 am

Hi guys

Hope anyone can assist in this regard. I had someone ask me a question some time ago with regards to Permits and I could not provide the answer.

If a person buys a snake from someone else; obviously the seller must obtain a transport permit and the buyer a captivity permit. The one is dependent on the other as a captivity permit can/will not be issued unless proof is produced that a transport permit exists. If the seller neglects to provide a transport permit - but delivers the snake nevertheless, what can the buyer to to remedy the situation? Is there a way that the buyer can still obtain the captivity permit legally in this case? What can happen to the buyer if he discloses that he has a snake without a transport permit - will he be prosecuted/fined or will the onus be back on the seller who sold the snake without the necessary transport permit?

Please advise.

Thanx
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Western Cape Permit system

Postby Fangfan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi Dispholidus,

Best advise I can give, is to call Cape Nature at 021 483 0120. I spoke to Lee-Anne Benjamin, and she was very helpful. I could not hurt to ask.
My permit went smooth, even though I only applied for my permit months after the transport permit expired.
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:22 pm

You are correct that a transport permit is the prelude to an ownership permit. If the Seller provides the animal without a transport permit and you accept it. You are just as “guilty” as the seller even though you did not transport the beasty.
If the buyer informs on the seller both will be liable to a fine of R500. The buyer for being in possession of an “unlicensed illegal wild animal”. The seller for transporting it without “permission”. CapeNature should never be confused with being helpful and friendly.
The buyer can put his or her story in an affidavit because this is what CapeNaure are going to insist on so as to prove their case against the seller but it also incriminates the buyer. The animal will more than likely be confiscated and destroyed without compensation after all is said and done.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:10 pm

I would have recommended that you approach Cape Nature as I believe they are understanding of this deals gone wrong. Now days I am not so sure. If you understand the rules you' re also at fault like Andrew mentioned. If the buyer is a first time owner and doesn't understand the legislation they might get off. There will be further investigation into the seller how ever.

I am recently being issued a fine for transporting snakes illegally. Which is a joke! I transported over 100 reptiles with permits a while back and while busy with my register I realized I left 4 snakes off. This was during a stressful time closing a reptile park and dividing reptiles up with my partner. I contacted Cape nature immediately and informed them it was an honest mistake. After a meeting they decided the best option was to fine me as I understand the regulations.LOL It was a freaking mistake! I have a show permit which allows me to transport them all over anyways.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. It seem even upfront honestly is punished. :smt011

I know the authorities monitor the forums. I just couldn't care! :smt019
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:08 am

Wow now I am begining to understand why most people in the Western Cape rather just keep their animals with out permits.It looks like its the honest guys who are the easy targets.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 am

Personally, I would not care to pay a R500 fine. It is the animal's future or apparent lack of it, that concerns me. Destroy a perfectly healthy animal just for the sake of conforming to beaurocratic red tape is totally unfair.
Snakes caring for me:

Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:31 am

I have heard they often give the animals to their friends at Butterfly World ,which seems even more unfair.You can't keep the animal but somebody else can ,makes no sense to me.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 am

..... and this is the reason you need a strong herp association in the Western Cape that can take on the authorities and ensure that common sense prevails.

We have almost no hassles with Gauteng Nature Conservation because we meet regularly and come to agreements that are kept by both sides.

It will also help if the person doing the most negotiating does not keep reptiles and cannot thus be "punished" for comments made. Try to get a "tame" lawyer or advocate to help you in this regard.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nvlooi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:09 am

Bushviper wrote:..... and this is the reason you need a strong herp association in the Western Cape that can take on the authorities and ensure that common sense prevails.

We have almost no hassles with Gauteng Nature Conservation because we meet regularly and come to agreements that are kept by both sides.

It will also help if the person doing the most negotiating does not keep reptiles and cannot thus be "punished" for comments made. Try to get a "tame" lawyer or advocate to help you in this regard.

.... and that the reason we are trying to set up something like this.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

nvlooi wrote:.... and that the reason we are trying to set up something like this. H

... and this is why it would be great if everybody joined to show a united front and forget about personal petty differences
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nvlooi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Bushviper wrote:
nvlooi wrote:.... and that the reason we are trying to set up something like this. H

... and this is why it would be great if everybody joined to show a united front and forget about personal petty differences

Mabey I should rephrase that sentence...

... and that is why THERE ARE A ASSOTIATION BEING SET UP.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

LOL!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Dispholidus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 am

lol

Henco you have just been anonymously elected as chairperson of the Association :D
Snakes caring for me:

Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Dispholidus wrote:... chairperson of the Association :D

I may have heard talk that the meeting will be this coming Friday in Pinelands.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dispholidus » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 am

nvlooi is this true?
Snakes caring for me:

Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities