Warning, dont overheat your snake

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Warning, dont overheat your snake

Postby Feederwarehouse » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:54 pm

So, I have just recently gotten into snake keeping and deceided to get a rat snake as they are aboriel (which appealed to me as I like plants and natural vaviuriums to) and wanted something different to a corn snake which is a little tricky to get hold of in Cape Town, I have 2 corns already. So any way, went and collected my new baby, very exited. The breedes where only 15 mins away but when I got home something didnt seem right , mouth was open as almost looked like it was choking for air, put a water bowl in but alas it died :smt022 . So just a warning it was +- 30c outside and I don't have an aircon in my car :smt011 and 30 min later my new baby died :shock: . I am really heart broken over this and feel like the worse pet owner in the world, but have learn't a valuable lesson, if you dont have an aircon in your car and you are sweating then it's to hot to transport a snake. My car was probable a few degrees warmer then the air temp.
I really feel terrible about this but thought I would share to warn any one else.
1.1.0 Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
2.0.1 Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Warning, dont overheat your snake

Postby monopeltis » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Was it in direct sun? 30C should not kill a snake especially in that amount of time.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Feederwarehouse » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:14 pm

I think it might have been as he was on the floor of my car and it does sometimes get direct sun but didnt notice until it I got home. Can only think he overheated unless there are other ideas as he was fine when I first saw him.
1.1.0 Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
2.0.1 Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:13 am

monopeltis wrote:Was it in direct sun? 30C should not kill a snake especially in that amount of time.

I've seen snake dies within minutes due to overheating...

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:08 am

nvlooi wrote:
monopeltis wrote:Was it in direct sun? 30C should not kill a snake especially in that amount of time.

I've seen snake dies within minutes due to overheating...

H

At 30C ????
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qball » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:42 am

If it was on the floor, perhaps you put it directly above the exhaust? I know in my bakkie, the floor gets a bit warmer where the exhaust runs.
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby PythonRegius » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am

How long did your car stand completely closed up in the sun before you put your snake in? Even though you open up all the windows immediately afterwards, the car will still be very hot inside and you can feel all heat radiating from your dash for instance.

Did the snake have access to enough water before you collected it? Not blaming anyone, just trying to figure out what the conditions were. Perhaps even though he looked fine he was a bit thirsty (dehydrated) and that coupled with the heat sent him over the edge.

It must have been a lot hotter than 30C though.

Regards
PythonRegius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Today it is about 35c where i live so i unplugged all my heating pads,luckily my snake room stays cooler than the rest of the house on hot days.
Sorry for your loss.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Don't beat yourself up, I agree with monopeltis. 30c aint overeating, especially for that short period of time.

Thimk we are missing something here...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Feederwarehouse wrote:So, I have just recently gotten into snake keeping and deceided to get a rat snake as they are aboriel (which appealed to me as I like plants and natural vaviuriums to) and wanted something different to a corn snake which is a little tricky to get hold of in Cape Town, I have 2 corns already. So any way, went and collected my new baby, very exited. The breedes where only 15 mins away but when I got home something didnt seem right , mouth was open as almost looked like it was choking for air, put a water bowl in but alas it died :smt022 . So just a warning it was +- 30c outside and I don't have an aircon in my car :smt011 and 30 min later my new baby died :shock: . I am really heart broken over this and feel like the worse pet owner in the world, but have learn't a valuable lesson, if you dont have an aircon in your car and you are sweating then it's to hot to transport a snake. My car was probable a few degrees warmer then the air temp.
I really feel terrible about this but thought I would share to warn any one else.

You mean corn snakes are tricky to get or rat snakes, because both are quite easy to find at most petshops, do not leave anything alive in a warm car for any ammount of time, and you make it sound asif you did not have a waterbowl in. Sorry for your loss, we learn from out mistakes and from others, it just feels a little weird the way you say things, hope you will get your pets home safely next time.
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:28 am

What size was the container? Did it have good ventilation? Sorry for your loss bud
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:42 am

Jamster, I just wanted to ask the same thing, also, was the container cleaned at all and if so with what?
Overheating can happen yes, but what you are telling me, doesn't sound right, where in the car did you keep the snake during transport?
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Considering it was a hatchling it would have heated up much quicker than a larger snake. I have had medium sized spotted bush snakes, brown house snakes, etc die within minutes on very hot days on route to release spots. I have noticed that snakes that die from heat exhaustion always do so with their mouths open. Sorry for your loss.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping