Californian's photos from visit to Kimberley and KTP

Re: Californian's photos from visit to Kimberley and KTP

Postby Rothdigga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

nvlooi wrote:Brilliant brilliant pics...
Glad you enjoyed the Nothern Cape and got to see some nice herps!

It is unbelievable that people manage to drive over a massive animal like a monitor... except if it 'ran' underneath the car that does happen...

H

I thought the same thing of the monitor, actually said it to my wife as I was moving it off the road. "How the hell do you hit something this large?" I also saw a couple DOR N. Nivea in the park where the speed limit is only 50, so that's really mind boggling. It's not like Cape Cobras are small stretched out across the road, and you should be looking for stuff inside the park.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rothdigga » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:36 pm

TH wrote:Great photos! And a fantastic part of our country too – one of my favourites! I am a general wildlife freak (Some people might be able to confirm that I have a keen interest in birds and mammals too!) so I, for one, am certainly not going to complain if you post photos of things other than reptiles here, but I’ll leave it for the “masses” to make the ultimate decision on that one…

Fooble, are you sure about that Nucras sp ID? I would have called that lizard a Spotted Sand Lizard Pedioplanis lineoocellata lineoocellata, but then of course, I could just be smoking something really good…
:lol:

I'll throw up some highlights of the mammals and birds later on today then. I saw some good stuff while out there, so many good raptors in that park it's unbelieveable.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm

TH wrote:
Fooble, are you sure about that Nucras sp ID? I would have called that lizard a Spotted Sand Lizard Pedioplanis lineoocellata lineoocellata, but then of course, I could just be smoking something really good…
:lol:

TH i think you're Spot on about it Spotted Sand Lizard! I was a little guessing not have literature on hand.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rothdigga » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Just going back and looking at this post and realized that I forgot to add any of the birds/mammals we saw in the park while over there...sorry! Here's a few highlights.
I'm coming back to Kimberley for the contest again this Sept/Oct. I'm not travelling with my wife this time so I'm trying to figure out what to do. After seeing that previous post from Witsand, I'm thinking of going to stay there for 3 days or so after the contest. Or, making another trek up to Kgalagadi. Any advice? I know it's not the best time of the year for herps in early Oct but maybe it'll be warmer than last time.
Here's what we saw Non-herp wise last time:
Cape Fox with pups

Swallow-tailed Bee Eater
Tawny Eagle

Black-shouldered Kite

African Gray Hornbill

Bat-eared Foxes

Martial Eagle

Verreaux's Eagle-owl

Pearl-spotted Owlet

Greater Kestrel

Cheetah Cubs- saw 4 cubs along with a mother in the riverbed, only big predators seen besides some Hyenas.

Lilac-breasted Roller

Baby Giraffe at Augrabies.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions for somewhere near Kimberley that I should spend 3-4 days at after the event, let me know. Kgalagadi wasn't too bad of a drive last time so I'm down to do anything that far or closer.
Thanks.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Some really nice bird finds. Tawny eagles and Pearl spotted owlets always elude me, but at least I have seen some in the distant past.
Your photography is top-notch!
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 am

Duuude! That's some fantastic photography. Interisting shots.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am

Awesome stuff man ! The Cape fox photo is just amazing !

Did you get any good shots of the contest ? It would be great if you posted some in another section...Can't wait for the next one, I've already started planning the trip haha...

Regards
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TH » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Some fantastic bird and mammal photos there! Thanks for adding them so that those of us who have an obsession that extends beyond herps could also enjoy them... :D
follow my local exploits in the field at:
http://hardakerwildlife.wordpress.com/

see my photos and longer trip reports at:
http://www.hardaker.co.za
TH
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rothdigga » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:34 am

Eyelash wrote:Awesome stuff man ! The Cape fox photo is just amazing !

Did you get any good shots of the contest ? It would be great if you posted some in another section...Can't wait for the next one, I've already started planning the trip haha...

Regards

Cool that you're going to come out for it. I really don't shoot any skate photos. I've got too many friends that are good at shooting skate stuff that I just let them handle it. Here's some coverage if you didn't see it on the SPOT site.
http://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/a.aspx?ID=1639

On a herp related note, I did just go to Peru and shoot a ton of great herps. Peep it here if you feel like it...
Part 1 http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11606
Part 2 http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11671

Again, any suggestions on where I should hit up and stay after the event this year would be awesome to anyone who knows the area.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Awesome photo's and finds! I was at the Maloof last year but didn't get a chance to get out of Kimberly and explore, i'm now envious.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Northern Cape