A Reptile Book Club

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Re: A Reptile Book Club

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:18 am

Kev please PM me that site as im always looking for more books i've exhauted most of the local sites :)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 am

Have a look at SABDA. Once you've read Isemonger you'll have to buy Sun, Sand and Snakes from Spawls.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Dose any one know anything about this book?
Is there any thing usefull in it?

Reptiles of Southern Africa
By Rod Patterson
Photography by Anthony Bannister
C. Struik
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:21 pm

It's my favorite book because it's the one I got first. It doesn't have all the species and isn't that up to date but it's still fun to look through. The books around those times were more about natural history and behavior than scale counts and such- It has the best section on husbandry of any South African book.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks!
I am a bit more interested in natural history and behavior at this point, so I think I'll get it.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:36 pm

The best book for that is The reptiles and amphibians of Southern Africa by Walter Rose. Walter Rose is one of the best :-D :-D :-D
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Cool I'll look into it. I also need a book on amphibians so thats even better.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:44 pm

You are really gonna smaak that book. I have been looking for another book from the same man for a very long time. It's called The Adventures of Breviceps the Rain Frog.
Imagine following a Rain frog for an entire year and writing about it's behavior ,it must be a very interesting book.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I just got The Reptiles & Amphibians of Southern Africa - Walter Rose 1962 what a great book natural history at its best!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Hey Fooble man, do a proper review.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Hey guys, I've been spending more time looking for amphibians and finding quite a few.
Only problem is I have no idea what I am doing or looking at.
I would like to get a good field guide so I can at least know what I am finding.
Any ideas on what a good one is before I brave the book stores?

Fooble wrote:I just got The Reptiles & Amphibians of Southern Africa - Walter Rose 1962 what a great book natural history at its best!

I had a copy of the this same book practically fall into my lap!
Readings going a bit slow but suppose I haven't really had much time to do any reading, but all very interesting.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:56 am

I just recently got a copy of "A Monograph of the Colubrid Snakes of the Genus Elaphe" by Klaus-Dieter Schultz, and let me tell you, this is the bible for all ratsnake lovers!

The book is outdated in terms of scientific names but the information is invaluable.

The author has hundreds of awesome pictures of New World and Old World species and most species descriptions gives a good bit of insight on the captive requirements (keeping and breeding) of each species.

This is particularly helpful for the rarer species.

This is probably the first time I've looked at a book as an investment and not just a bit of entertainment!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support