Help with ground gecko permits.

Help with ground gecko permits.

Postby snake kid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi

I hope this is in the right section.

I have a bit of a sad problem. someone sold a giant ground gecko to a girl here in Western cape without permits. she has no real idea how to care for it and has now grown tired of it. I have checked it is a adult male as far as I can see will post pic's of it as it will hopefully soon be living with me. She wanted to release it into the wild and I said ill rather look after it and explained why she should not release it.

The problem is I can't keep it with me as there are no permits and I have some other animals on permit so I get check ups from Nat con. So my question is is there somewhere that you don't need permits for these okes that I can send it to someone or get them to organize me an export permit so that I can pretend I'm getting the snake from that province please any help would be appreciated or any other options.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help with ground gecko permits.

Postby nvlooi » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 am

Contact Cape nature!

Becuase the animal has no permit it would not even be legal transport it. Cape Nature aren't hartless and it is not impossible that a permit could be given for the animal.
But it would be more likely that the animal would have to go to the closest 'animal park'.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:20 am

Cape nature do monitor this forum. Take it to Butterfly World. It will have a good home there.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

By calling Cape nature they will see that you are making an effort to abide by the rules. They may hit you with a small fine but in the end it may be worth it for the animal. If I were them I'd be sympathetic to your case.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby snake kid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 pm

I tried that with some rescued snakes once and they wanted to take me to court. The snakes I rescued where so skinny the one Burmese python couldn't even feed itself I had to take a small rat and push it down its throat. But they said I should have left it with the owner.

But back to topic the poor oke died unfortunately. He was coming along nicely even his MBD was improving but he just died one night. I think it could be because the previous owner only fed it meal worms so the liver just gave in. Could this be?
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder