Possible Flower pot snake.. Ramphotyphlops braminus??

Possible Flower pot snake.. Ramphotyphlops braminus??

Postby Quintin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:30 am

Hi All,

Please help me ID. I got this little blind snake on a call out. I thinks its a Possible Flower pot snake.. Ramphotyphlops braminus. If it is in fact this species, then this is quite a find for me. According to my field guides, they aren't supposed to be in our area (Fochville, North West). The are parthenogenetic meaning that the are all female, but can fertilize themselves without the help of a "male". These snakes were introduced from Asia, and because of being parthenogenetic, they established themselves in small parts of South Africa and even Brazil. Thats why it would be quite important to me if this snake is in fact ID'd as a flower pot snake.

The snake was brought into a gentlemans house by he's pet cat! Its busted up a little but will survive.

Here are some pics. Not the greatest... sorry about the quality.

Regards,

Quintin
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Possible Flower pot snake.. Ramphotyphlops braminus??

Postby Quintin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 am

No worries guys.... it seems its not a Flower Pot snake, but rather a Delandes beaked blind snake - Rhinotyphlops lalandei... Still a nice little find none the less..
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Aren't Flower Pot snakes actually Exotic? Or was it another species? I know there was one that was exotic and can now be found in SA. Question: If an Exotic snake establishes itself in SA, can we legally collect them from the wild seeing as they are not technically "Local"? I've always wondered what the legalities are concerning this.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 am

Firefly you can collect exotics that are found in the wild. That is why you do not require a permit for a Mynah bird, Ring necked parrot or a European starling if you go catch them, however if the bird migrates then it is considered indigenous and is protected. If you catch the Grey squirrels that you find in the Western Cape you also do not require a permit for them in all the other provinces (I think the Cape might protect them I am not sure).
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to North West