Something eating my rats ears

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Something eating my rats ears

Postby snake kid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi

Okay so basically something is eating my rats ears. It looks horrible and i don't suppose that it could be healthy :smt021 .

I think it might be the flies or lice but I don't see any lice so I am thinking flies. What can I do to stop them? :smt018
Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Something eating my rats ears

Postby Mehelya » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Can you take a picture of the affected ear(s), and upload it/them? Is it happening indiscriminately, or is it occuring on only one sex? How many rodents do you keep in the enclosure, and how big is the enclosure? It could also be that the rats are being territorial about females, or space. When I was still breeding my own mice, I would find that too many males or females in one enclosure would lead to rather violent fights, and even deaths amongst them.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cronje Rademan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi snake kid
Just one question, does it look like warts growing on their ears and do the ears look a bit misformed? Does their tails also look if they got little scabs and warts on them? If that is the case than they have sarcoptic mange which is caused by a microscopic mite which affect bare skin on your rats. You can treat it with frontline (the spray type for cats and dogs) by just spraying onto some paper towel or cotton wool and applying to the affected areas. Use gloves when you handle the rats because it can be transmitted to humans. Don't spray directly onto the rats because the medicine can hurt and damage their eyes.

There is some info on sarcoptic mange available on google. You also can't feed the treated rats to your snake for up to 30 days because frontline stay in ther system for that period. I had the same problem in my rats and treated them with frontline. Problem solved. Just be sure to disinfect and clean their housing regularly for the next 30 days to get rid of any goggas still in their bedding.

Hope it works good luck.
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:22 pm

@ Rian Hi will upload some pic's of the setup for you, all sexes have it and I only have one male and 3 females per enclosure.

@ Cronje That sounds like what is happening yes. Luckily I do have some Frontline at hand and will see if it works thank you very much.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cronje Rademan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi snake kid
Just remember its very important to disinfect your enclosures. I used some of the frontline and sprayed the cages as well after I cleaned them. The important thing is to avoid a re-infection, but one treatment should do the job. You'll see after a couple of days the warts get less, and within 2 week their ears start to look normal again. By thirty days they will look like normal healthy rats.
I waited for two months after I treated mine (just to be on the safe side) before I started feeding them to my snakes to make sure the frontline is completely out of their system.
I'm sure you'll get it right.
Regards
Cronje Rademan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I have had this before too,after buying a heap of rats from someone who didn't clean them regularly.A cheap solution that worked for me is Carbadust.Every time I clean their cages,I sprincle some carbadust in the bottom of the cages before I chuck in the new shavings.This eliminated the problem in a bout a week and I still do it every time I clean cages.When you clean the cages,make sure to dispose of the dirty shavings streight away and not leave it near the ratcages as the mites seem to breed in there over time.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 pm

I'd have to agree with the other chaps on the sarcoptic mange then as well, if it's on most of them, and if you say your grouping is ok, and it's more of a growth than pieces being chewed out. Good luck treating it!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Okay so here is the photo's.

I clean my cages on a weekly basis every Friday or Saturday depending on when I have the time but I will apply the Carbadust method as well. Just one question, is it safe for my snakes? Only thing putting me off of the frontline thing is the fact that I cant use my rats for a month. I have 25 snakes to feed. I also have mice but for my boa's python and puffies that is just an appetizer.

Thanks for everyone's input.
IMG_4414.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Martin Odd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

I use Ivomec on my rats. Mix 1ml per 10ml water and spray them. Works a treat and also deworms the rats. You can also feed the rats straight away, as Ivomec won't affect your snakes. Proberly benefit them as well, helping limit their parasites. This I learnt form the guys at Imhoff Snake Park. The key is to keep your rats clean as possible. I clean twice a week.
Martin Odd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

That definitely looks like sarcoptic mange. Was hoping it was just them biting each other. Use any of the treatments above., they all work.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:04 pm

I think you are off on the dosage. It should be 1ml per liter. Don't use drugs until you have consulted a vet.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby John Rees » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Just like Vuduman, we have had the same problem with our rats and were advised to use Carbadust each time we clean the cages. We use something called Karbochick and it works like a charm.
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Karbadust is the answer, powder your cages before putting the woodshavings in.

In two weeks you will see the difference, its small mites that you get in the woodshavings.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Martin Odd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 pm

it_bit_me wrote:I think you are off on the dosage. It should be 1ml per liter. Don't use drugs until you have consulted a vet.

Apologise for that, your're right it bit me, should be 1ml ivomec per 1000ml water. :oops:
Martin Odd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks for everyone's input.

Luckily tomorrow is cleaning day so will be using the carbadust method as it seems to be a safe and easy way and we have some. Ivomac would also do good but we don't have it so ill do the carbadust thing and will report back with the results.

So thanks once again for everyone.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra