Liasis mackloti mackloti

Liasis mackloti mackloti

Postby fastback » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Morning All

A couple months ago I was in the planning/home work stage of getting myself a hot or 3 :) ,
I had been doing plenty of reading and been checking on what snakes I would like to get :) , saving up for the right equipment and handling courses needed!
But that all changed on one of my visits to the forum, I saw Mittons threads with regards to Carpet pythons and he’s site. (Some very nice snakes you got Mitton :smt006 )
I then fell in love with Australasian pythons, the more pictures I looked at and the more reading up I did about these awesome snakes the more I decided to go for this species and forget about the venomous type,
I have always loved and wanted a green tree python but the price of them put me off.

I took a leap and will be getting Liasis mackloti mackloti python on Saturday.
I am pretty excited and looking forward to getting it :!: . Will post some pictures after I get it and it has had a chance to settle in!
I will see how it goes with this one and I might just consider adding more species of Australasian pythons to my growing collection of Tarantulas.

What I need to ask now is?

Here is one of the care sheets. http://snakesathome.co.uk/MacklotPythonCareSheet.aspx

1st On the care sheets, says that they need a basking spot, As I got myself a plastic container for it and there is not much space to add a basking light, will the snake be fine with just a heating pad for winter, in summer I will be finishing off my spider room and getting a proper display tank/viv.
My spider’s room is heated and the temperatures are between 22degrees to 28degrees. Humidity is two glasses of water infront of the heaters.

2nd What would be correct thickness of glass to use for these snakes? 4mm or 6mm
Would safety glass be a bit of over kill?
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Liasis mackloti mackloti

Postby cvanvollenstee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 pm

With matloks you can use standard 4mm, When you go over to burmese and retic 6mm becomes a must. The basking spot is on the far left or right side of the cage. They need to regulate their tempriture accordingly so u will need a cold spot ass wel.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm

"matloks"...A new species you have there cvanvollenstee ?Haha...

@fastback...I have been keeping them for a while now and they are pretty big (and agro) as adults so I would go for nice thick glass even though my is not.I have them in a 3m cage with two large heating pads on the one side.I also have lights in the cage (not heat lamps) that raises the temp. to around 32 (warm side) during the day and 22-25 at night (now down to 25-27 at day and around 16-20 at night).

Just keep an eye on his/her temp. so it does not fall ill.

Here's a pic of me and my big girl so you can have a idea of size.

Hope it helped.

Regards.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Glad to see you ar wearing shoes on these photos. :)
Awsome snake.
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:21 pm

The heating pad will be at the back of the cupboard and the cool spot will be in the front as the temps stay constint at the back. the front cools down to 22 degrees.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Haha...Boskobra...Rest assured,it's only because of the cold... ;)

That should be ok for a larger snake...If yours is still small I'd suggest you keep it a bit warmer than that.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Wow that is stunning Eyelash!
What is her length know? Is she mature?

I read the post where some one's BHP broke the glass on there cage so I'm a bit worried about the snake getting hurt or killed!

What watt ligths do you have in the tank?
And are they on the same side that your heating pads are on?
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:21 pm

Just so you feel more at ease use a shatterproof glass. I went a bit overboard with my JCP; installed a 6mm shatterproof glass front but at least I don't worry about any accidents. Its not just a case of the snake popping the glass or something but the possibility that you might knock the glass.
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Boskobra wrote:Glad to see you ar wearing shoes on these photos. :)
Awsome snake.

Those look like the pantoffels again ne?

Ha ha, Eyelash are your quite chilled naturally or psycho?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Eyelash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Haha...Jip...it's the pantoffels again !They are psycho man...Check them out !HAHA... :smt007

...Back to the snakes now...

The one in the pic is a mature adult around 2.6-2.7m in length (They average around 2-2.5m) and pretty chilled.The other I have are the complete opposite...they are psyco but will calm down after a couple of minutes.

When it comes to the lights I have in their current cage I have no idea what wattage they are to be honest.I have two above the heating pads and one one the opposite side of the cage that does not get to warm.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am

You made a very good choice on what snake to get. I hear they are awesome snakes and are still on my list.

Awesome snake eyelash!
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!

Well I got the little man, which is not so little he is sitting at around 70cm to 80cm(he want stop moven for a proper geuss :smt005 ), and not 40cm that he was sold for! :D

He is very curious and comes out every time I walk into the spiders room, also not scared of me at all.

I amazed how strong he is and love the fact how he lifts he’s body of the ground to strike, Reminds me of the movie Anaconda when the snake is going to eat the Bad GUY! really stunning and amazing snake.

As Said here is some pictures of the littleman. I also got musked will I was taken the secound lot of pictures. :shock:

Debt (24).JPG

Debt (40).JPG

Debt (38).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Eyelash wrote:@fastback...I have been keeping them for a while now and they are pretty big (and agro) as adults so I would go for nice thick glass even though my is not.
I noticed they are aggressive, but read that this more applies to the younger ones.

Eyelash wrote:I have them in a 3m cage with two large heating pads on the one side.
I also have lights in the cage (not heat lamps) that raises the temp. to around 32 (warm side) during the day and 22-25 at night (now down to 25-27 at day and around 16-20 at night).
That's pretty big. I do achieve this temps, but I am concerned about the winter. I did however test and day temperatures are still ~28C in winter, while it will have places that want go below 20C during the night, when it's basically below 10C in the room.

Eyelash wrote:Just keep an eye on his/her temp. so it does not fall ill.
What about humidity?
Eyelash wrote:Here's a pic of me and my big girl so you can have a idea of size.

I've seen juveniles that are very dark, basically black with close to white belly and here and there a slightly differently coloured scale.
They are calle macklots python, but I wonder, if they aren't Savus. Your's seems to be greenish. Do they change colour while they are aging?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)