New to the world

Re: New to the world

Postby Carpetpythons » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 am

I wanted to post yesterday and tell you that they looked very premature but I totally forgot. They were far from hatching and I know this because they were sitting with their sides up. Cutting the membrane would not have mattered as long as the yolk was not ruptured. I have noticed over the years that the time in between egg laying is the most important factor in having quality eggs. The quality of the eggs reflect the way the mother was fed during the months before laying the eggs. This is in no way a dig at you Vuduman as I'm sure you would have maintained her to the best of your ability. A mother with good stable fat reserves from a feeding season will guarantee healthy eggs. Good luck next year mate.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Carpetpythons » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:37 am

I left a word out. Should read "ventral sides up". Hatchling turn around with their backs facing upwards when they are ready to emerge.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks guys.I actually got them very late in the season ,so I had no power over how she was fed prior to when I got her and she was off food allready.
I incubated the eggs at 31.2degrees and cut the eggs on day 56.
I honestly didn't think anything good will come from these eggs as I had the worst luck with electricity failures aswell as a broken hygrometer.They did look quite small.I expected them to fill most of the egg when I cut them open.

Thanks for the future advice.Obviousely I have learned something very valueble out of this breeding season as this was my 1st attempt to breed pythons.And I am sure there is still loads to learn for me.
The parents went to the new owner allready as I am leaving the country in a few weeks,so there is unfortunately no next year attempt for me with those.But I am sure to keep trying.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)