Hingeback in garden

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Hingeback in garden

Postby mrVynes » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:12 am

A hingeback (looks old) has been living in our garden for a couple of weeks now. It keeps crawling into corners and stays there for long periods of time. So I was reading that they are active in the mornings and late afternoons. But this outjie just parks there in the corner. This morning I took it out of the corner and put some apple slices out infront of it. It almost immediately started eating but then made straight for the corner again. Looks like it's wedged itself in between some stuff and I have no idea how it's gona get out. Should I just go release it in the bush somewhere? I was thinking of taking it to a farm on a koppi, but not sure if these tortoises live on elevated areas or more towards the lower parts where there's more water. (I also read they like to soak in a bit of water from time to time).

pic attached

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy -W. C. Fields
mrVynes
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hingeback in garden

Postby mrVynes » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:39 pm

it came walking into the house as i was watching the rugby. i took it outside again and it's now buried itself deep underneath leaves and twigs and stuff.. only the top of its shell sticking out :-? :?:
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy -W. C. Fields
mrVynes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 pm

They do occur in rocky veld areas, plenty of them around the Hartebeestpoort/Hennops valley area. They can handle dry areas as well, and seem to tolerate a fair bit of cold. I have a female at my house that was "rescued" by someone, who then dumped it on me, and it comes from that region, although I am not sure of the exact locality. Whereabouts are you situated?
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:16 pm

It is looking for a place to hibernate. Do you live near a veld or somewhere that it could be in its natural distribution. In that case it will possibly just walk out again. You never mentioned where you live. If it is an escaped pet then it should not be released just anywhere.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mrVynes » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 am

I'm in northern kzn, southern border of swaziland. I live in a small town but close to the bush.

It's got a fair amount of roads to cross though.. walking out without being snatched might no be so easy. Most of the locals kill anything resembling a reptile on sight. But looks like it's found an out of site and safe place to hibernate though...if that's what it's doing...
mrVynes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Keep him till after winter and then when he gets "wunderlust" and wants to return to the bush then just help him to an area where he will not come into contact with humans. Possibly a friend with a farm nearby?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians