It was this big!! (arms oustretched) ;)

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

It was this big!! (arms oustretched) ;)

Postby Jamster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 am

Ok guys I know this is a little off topic but I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have some cool fishing photos or photos of your catches.. I used to go fishing with my grandfather until I was about 7-8. I recently got myself a permit and have been fishing again and really enjoying it, so far I have caught stompies, black tail, a small black mussel cracker and plenty barbel, so nothing good yet but I am hoping that this winter will bring good fishing. My girlfriend did catch a little "skaam-oog" or shy shark a couple of weeks ago :)

IMG_20120401_154025-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Re: It was this big!! (arms oustretched) ;)

Postby mrVynes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Always time for a bit of fishing! We do a lot of tiger fishing, mostly in the river...but catching barbel is the best! It's nice seeing the tigers jump but they don't fight like a big river barbel !

2012-01-13 07.15.02.jpg
2012-01-13 07.11.03.jpg

happy dayz :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy -W. C. Fields
mrVynes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MISA » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Now we talking...

I got a bundle of sushi on Monday this week off Durban... my mate got a nice shoal cuta as well, and the lighty got a hammer head of about 10kg, sadly we lost 4 other cuta to the tax man... :smt011

Also Spent 1:30mins fighting a "something" that took a hammer head I was hooked into as bait, it ran me down to the bare spool 8 times and took us on a 4.5km joy ride trying to keep up, sadly the steel -parted so we couldn't id the monster, am thinking a Zambezi of over 200kgs as I couldn't even turn it on 80pound line... :smt017
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Very cool guys keep them coming :) remembering that the barbel we get here are saltwater barbel and dont get very big or put up much of a fight. Really want to go do a bit of deep sea. Ive got two really sturdy deep sea rods that used to be my grandfathers.
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MISA » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:40 pm

If we talking fresh water... I dabble in that too... catching the odd bassturd..

here's a Piggy I got a while back at Inanda Dam..

This weekend I am off salt water fly and drop shot fishing down south... hopefully will have some new pics to add... :-D
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:47 pm

It's not cold I really do have a broom up my behind. JK is on the left.
This oke is Snakekid, the surprise catch is from a local stream IN OUDTSHOORN nogal.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Ok not too familiar with my river fishes, but is that a rainbow trout ?
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Jamster wrote:Ok not too familiar with my river fishes, but is that a rainbow trout ?

That is correct Jamster. :)
Really want to try the flyfishing thing again but eish.... had a rod and so on but sold it the first time I got myself tangled in it. :smt021
I am of to the Vaal tomorrow morning for a fishing competion, will post pics on monday.
I did open a thread the other day about fishing, so that is one thing I take very serious and that is my fishing. :)
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Lesson learnt... Always wear shoes on the boat....
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:47 pm

This is how I wanna fish, looks awesome.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:22 am

Went on vacation with my grandmom, and my grandad's familt, brother's sisters and cousins and so on, not a patient man so fishing is not my cup of tea, managed to catch a few fish. my fishing expidition, will look for photos as I have 2 of the fish. :D

Blue hottentot
Under size muscle cracker
White Stumpnose
King Klip
Sand shark
Kol Stertjie

The weirder catches included puffer fish, klipvis, a rock sucker klipvis, with a huge suction mechanism on its belly, quite interesting, also caught a wilde perdjie with my hands, and a kolstert with my hands, a few octopusses, and a little cuttle fish :D

The wilde perdjie was a baby which swam in a rock pool, the kolstert was in a rock pool, and was undersize, but a nice one, also caught 2 or 3 baby kol stertjies :D

I enjoy the sea, but no patients, so fishing is fun but not as successful as I would like it to be :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 am

Not too sure but ive heard there is a galjoene fishing comp here in PE in June or July out at cape receif? Can anyone confirm this ?
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions