Snake Rehab - stretching and healing

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Snake Rehab - stretching and healing

Postby Razer0 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 am

Hello daar!

So this be my first post on sareptiles (in fact on any reptile forum!) and I would like to start off by sharing something which seems to be rather unusual in the sense of snake handling, and that is the stretching of snakes!

I've had a steady and consistent increasing interest in snakes recently (few months) of which it started with what turned out to be an innocent rehabilitation of a boa. I don't know the specifics of the species, however I do know that it had experienced something rather traumatic in its lifetime.

Going back a bit in time to get some background history of myself, I have involved my Self in what could be termed "intuitive healing" where I provide a space for maximum healing to take place, to my best ability.
I specifically have had a case where a gentleman has been abled to move his fingers again after experiencing a stroke last year September, whereby his left side of his body became numb and unusable. This is not something that any mechanic, which is what he did for a living, would want to go through.

The movement of his fingers returned after a few short impromptu sessions while I was working in the food industry, so it was not exactly the ideal conditions for him, but that little bit made all the difference in the world to him.

Anyhow I had not been involved with snakes at the time of my life, nor had I even thought to express it to animals of that nature!

So one day I am invited to a braai with some newly made friends, at which at the house, roughly 67 snakes were kept on premises (majority of which are corns). Included in that number was the previously mentioned Boa (about 45cm long) that had its own enclosure, but for the life of itself, did not like any form of contact!

She (I was told) was permanently in a coiled position and consistently striking everything that entered its cage. She had scarring, flaky scales and skin, and wounds that clearly showed forms of abuse on all levels that she had endured.

She was placed on my hands and was immediately like a reoccurring jack-in-the-box, striking out at everything and nothing.
Poor girl had been through a bit :(

After loving and nurturing her, I returned the next week and resumed my services.
She reportedly started to eat again (yay!) after a long length of abstaining from food.

I was able to handle her this time round and she was no where near as defensive as our first encounter. After some gentle rubs and massages in all the right places, I felt the need to take her out to the garden. I provided her with access to a small bush, where she slowly manoeuvred herself into and around the branches. It's such a beautiful sight to witness a recovery so huge at that level, where nature just takes over it does what it does best :)

Less than a month later, I was told of her death. Immediately I held a silent prayer in celebration of her life, privelaged to have the encounter with such a divine creature.
I was told she escaped her cage! From a state of hiding from life, to wanting to escape out into the world filled my heart with...I don't have the words for it :')

Anyway I don't quite know the cause of her death exactly, however she was not meant to be in that cage, this I know :)

So now, a few months later after my first truly personel snake encounter, I am travelling to pet shops all over Durban to see all the different snakeys out there. Today I held my biggest one ever - a 2m albino python ! What a beaut!! (hope I'm not sounding like Steve Irwin lol).
I've recently bought a custom 1200x600x600 cage, so im looking for a new inhabitant and all the accessories to go with it! This will all come together in time I understand. I've been doing a lot of research on this :D

But for the moment I'd like to come back to why I started this topic... Snake stretching!
Now I do not have years of time with handling snakes, but I do have enough to know when a snake wants its spine clicked.

I indicate very gently while holding it, that I have the capacity to offer that its spine be stretched out. It then, in particular a constrictor that I handled last weekend, manoeuvres itself around me to provide for optimum release. I hold on to where I feel is best to hold, and what's to come is usually a series of popping along the whoooooole area between my hands, simultaneously a continuing stretching of the muscles and body.

Indicated by the snake, I know exactly how far to take it and when to stop. Some times I misunderestimate myself and don't go all the way (I also don't wanna hurt the little beastie), and realising this I proceed to pull more than I had previously.
This sometimes includes twists and turns of the muscles, but overall it gets done. Sometimes repeated popping, or clicks, are done over the same area.

Sometimes not at all!

I trust my intuition on this. Included in this, the snake clearly indicates to me whether it wants anything pulled or not. It's a kind way of saying, "No, thank you." Done deal, I leave it there. No insistence on my part is necessary.

Does anyone else have any experiences to share with deliberately helping your snake to stretch out ?

Peace out ;)
Razer0
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake Rehab - stretching and healing

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm

The sad thing is that the abused boas would probably have died in any case because by the time they have marks and scars on them they have been so dehydrated that they suffer internal damage.

Snakes do not need their backbones realigned and the muscles around the backbone keeps them straight. I have never had a snake show any gratitude after being handled as this is alien to its very nature. I am sure this is not required by a snake that constricts its prey. Any snake that swallows its food would have the same effect. I am sure you are going to get bitten when you start pulling on snakes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pieter89 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:27 pm

No thank you, I do not think my snake needs stretching...
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Razer0 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

If I can help anyone or anything with any form of release, I will gladly do it to the best of my capabilities.

For those that decline, may they be well.

The rest get to experience a release in pressure and tension :)
Razer0
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:36 pm

I have heard of this happening in the UK, at work once. The lady came in saying she 'stretched' her Royal/Ball python (Python regius) and she did exactly what you say you do. But sadly she came in with news that she had killed it. She thought that the clicking of the back made her python feel much better. She thought this because the python was in a small vivarium and had hardly any space to move what so ever ( I do not remember the size if the vivarium sorry) But from what she says is exactly what you are doing, so I will just say be-warned. We did report her to SPCA for this, as she had another snake and wanted to do the same but it was 'to hard because of the muscles'

R.I.P. poor little snake. I was heart broken as it was such a lovely snake. :(
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:54 pm

My snakes are doing fine after the acupuncture I gave them the other day....
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:07 pm

shadowfoot wrote:My snakes are doing fine after the acupuncture I gave them the other day....

You mean after the acupuncture they gave you.

Well it looks like two out of three snakes which had this procedure died. One Boa here and a Ball python in the UK. I guess this technique is not recommended and the warning signs are there that is is lethal in 66 percent of the cases.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby shadowfoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 pm

BV, its a kind of quid pro quo thing...
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:46 pm

A freind of mine has some black mambas who I think would appreciate a stretch, they would even return the favour by giving free acupuncture!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby shadowfoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Just to add. Snakes dont have a personal chiropracter in the wild so I doubt they need one in captivity.
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Razer0 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 am

the earth used to be flat, ya know :-P
Razer0
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:50 am

You people are killing me :D :D ;) :smt005
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping