Problem Breeder - Spider Male

Problem Breeder - Spider Male

Postby Russell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 am

Hi All,

I have had my Spider BP Male for just over year now and is 4 years old and weighs approximately 1,7kg.

Last breeding season I put him with 2 x Normal BP Females, but none of them laid any eggs or ovulated or copulated with the Spider Male.

I know at least one of the Normal BP Females that were put with the Spider Male was a proven breeder female, as she laid 5 x eggs in 2010.

I have already started putting the Spider BP Male with the same proven breeder female, but thus far no copulation. :smt021

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the Spider Male to breed? :idea:

Thanks in advance.
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Problem Breeder - Spider Male

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Some males are just poor breeders. It happens and you just have to use backup males in his place till he gets around to it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Brendan E » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 pm

stupid question but u sure its a male?
trust me it happens more than u would think.
other than that wait for a nice cold snap before you put him with a female as i dont think its been cold enough yet
livestrong
Brendan E
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 am

Thank you for your comments. :smt006

@Brendan E
Yes, I am sure the Spider BP is a male and was bought from a reputable breeder who assured me that the Spider BP Male is a proven breeder.
The night time temperatures are already going down to about 22 Degrees in my snake room and my other males are already copulating with other females.
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brendan E » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:24 am

Maybe he just needs a bit more time

Have you tried him with other females aswell?
livestrong
Brendan E
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks, I will try him with another female. :smt006
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am

Just a quick update -
One good sign - The Spider male is producing Sperm, as I popped him this weekend and sperm plugs came out. :D
I have put the Spider male with a different female, but no copulation as yet. :smt021
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 am

Just a quick update.

There was a suggestion to put a fresh shed from another BP Male with the Spider Male to see if the scent of another Male BP would encourage the Spider Male to breed, but unfortunately this did not help.

I then decided to take another BP Male and put him in the Spider Male's tank without the Spider being in the tank for a few days, and then I took out the other BP Male and put a female BP in the Spider's tank and then returned the Spider Male to his tank. I was hoping that the other Male BP would scent the Spider's tank and thus encourage the Spider to breed with the Female BP in the tank, but no joy.

I thought of combatting the Spider BP Male with another BP Male, but I was advised against it by another breeder, as it could adversely affect one or both of the BP Males. Any thoughts on this?

I have tried 3 different female BPs of different weights (1.5kg; 2.1kg; 2.4kg) with the Spider Male, but no joy.

Would anyone know if there is a certain age or weight from which Male BPs stop breeding?

Can a person go back to the breeder after 2 years and request proof of the BPs breeding activities? Could one trust the breeder not to falsify records?

I am beginning to believe I was caught for a sucker...... :smt013
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 am

I have seen certain males who only mate with certain females. It can be frustrating. Possibly he was sold at age 3 because he was useless as a breeder?

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Bushviper wrote:I have seen certain males who only mate with certain females. It can be frustrating. Possibly he was sold at age 3 because he was useless as a breeder?

You can say that again BV. My het Pied female didnt want anything to do with my Pied male, she only locked with my Bumblebee (little stud).

Ive heard breeders only keep their males till they reach the 1000g mark.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby martinB » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Russel.I have just seen this post and want to set something straight.I sold you that spider male and it was just over a year of age.I never said it was a proven breeder.I sold him and my pastel male as I replaced them with a proven breeder bumblebee male.I never said he was a proven breeder.Not all males breed,some will breed anything that you put in with them.Last season I had over 50 locks from my bumblebee male and this season not even one.
martinB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nbdreyer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 am

Ive got a pewter male (bought as a hatchling Jan 2011-800g currently) that is also not much of a stud. Ive had him in with 3 different females and has only seen 1 copulation. Very frurstrating!
nbdreyer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Martin thanks for stepping up. Obviously there was a miscommunication and this is how reputations are destroyed. Russel you cannot claim he is 4 years old when he is 2 years old either. Make sure of the facts because you can needlessly damage someones reputation for no reason.

I have been told of 6 month old male ball pythons in Durban that have been breeding, so yes it is possible however I also know of 4 year old males that have never managed to mate once.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:49 pm

martinB wrote:Hi Russel.I have just seen this post and want to set something straight.I sold you that spider male and it was just over a year of age.I never said it was a proven breeder.I sold him and my pastel male as I replaced them with a proven breeder bumblebee male.I never said he was a proven breeder.Not all males breed,some will breed anything that you put in with them.Last season I had over 50 locks from my bumblebee male and this season not even one.

Hi Martin,
Nowhere in my post did I mention your name or that I bought the Spider Male BP from you. :smt018

I have been asking for assistance to get the Spider Male BP to breed, as I swopped my Enchi Male BP and Spider Male BP Babies, which together cost R7k from another breeder, for this single 1kg Spider Male BP yearling which has not bred for 2 years. :smt010

I have been kicking myself for doing this ever since I did it, but I have to live with my decision and try making the best of it. :smt009

I apologies if you felt that I was directly or indirectly having a go at you, but I have a lot invested in this single BP and I am very disappointed in the fact that for 2 years I have not been able to make a return on my investment.

If you want to discuss this off-line, you have my number.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and assistance.
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Bushviper wrote:Martin thanks for stepping up. Obviously there was a miscommunication and this is how reputations are destroyed. Russel you cannot claim he is 4 years old when he is 2 years old either. Make sure of the facts because you can needlessly damage someones reputation for no reason.

I have been told of 6 month old male ball pythons in Durban that have been breeding, so yes it is possible however I also know of 4 year old males that have never managed to mate once.

Hi Bushviper,

My apologies once again, but I don't want this to become an on-line war between breeders, because I know I will lose, as I have no reputation to defend.

Just one question:
If the Spider Male BP is 2 years old now - could he weigh more than 2kg? :smt017

My Spider Male weighs over 2.2kg as of the 1st of July 2012 and I have a 6 year old Het Red Axanthic (proven breeder) which also weighs more than 2kgs, which I have had for more than 4 years.
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)