Respiratory infection

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Respiratory infection

Postby Yorick » Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

I got my son a baby ball python for his birthday, and within a few days he noticed some spit bubbles around her mouth so off to the vet we went, we were told it is a upper respiratory infection and she would need antibiotic. She stayed 4 days at the vet and we were told she is doing well. Now she has been home 4 days and still there is some spit bubbles around her mouth in the mornings. She ate just before her visit to the vet and we will feed again today. How long is the recovery from this and is there anything I can do to help (like temp or humidity etc) her cage temp is between 28 - 34 deg. Any vets in the job area or is it best to go to onderstepoort?
Yorick
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Respiratory infection

Postby 24088847 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Respiratory infections can be very easy to treat. Antibiotics should clear it up relitavely easily. Where did u get the snake from? How were the temps when you got the snake? What does ur set up look like! If he/she has had a round of antibiotics that should do the trick.most of these infections are caused by husbandry issues and providing the incorrect environment for them! I would recommend u invest in a good book or do a few internet searches for care sheets if this is his first snake! I always suggest to friends DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE getting the pet what ever it may be from a puppy to an beardie!
I took my ball python to a vet and it will definately cost you a bit to treat and sad to say if its serious the treatment mite out weight the money spent at the petshop substansially.

Antibiotics need to be used judiciously on all animals but if its not clearing up it may need a longer course. If its a young snake I do worry about using too long a set of antibiotics as well! :smt018
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Tue May 01, 2012 11:17 pm

I always take my snakes to Dr. Shabeer Bhoola from the Terrace road vet in Edenvale.
I think he is fantastic.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 24088847 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:47 am

Any update?
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Yorick » Fri May 11, 2012 9:47 am

I am still not 100% happy, but she has not missed a feed so that's good but she did have some cheesy stuff come out her mouth once, it seemed to be stuck on the sides of her mouth but has since cleared. The vet said the antibiotic would still be in her system and the fact she is eating is good. She is now shedding and that is causing me to stress as it has not been a clean shed. Not sure if the temp being high and humidity low for her RI has affected that. I still hear some wheezing every so often.
The breeder has given me another snake because he felt bad and that one has been an absolute pleasure and breeze to look after.
I am learning a lot through this experience so there is a positive side to it all.
How long would you say it should take to clear up an RI?
Yorick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Fri May 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Sometimes the antibiotic might not be sensitive to the RI. We are now using another type of antibiotic called "Keftaz" as "Baytril" seems to be resistant towards some strains.

We also nebulise our snakes x 2 daily in case of URI's with F10 and water mixture (1ml F10 per 250ml water), adding a pinch of Bromhexine powder to the nebulising chamber.

Edited to add: Keftaz is injected 72 hourly.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Yorick » Fri May 11, 2012 4:51 pm

I might try the nebula sing for now, which range of F10 do you use? I have the F10sc vet entry disinfectant, is this the one you are referring to? How long is one session of nebulising? Can I insert the nebuliser nozzle into the cage or should I put her in a separate container? Appreciate all the input thanks
Yorick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I would also look into the husbandry of the snake. If the cage is at the right heat and humidity this should not return at all.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Yorick » Fri May 11, 2012 6:42 pm

The temp is between 28 & 31 deg on the cool side and the humidity is at 55 - 65% .
Yorick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri May 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Where does the snake spend most of its time? The cold might be making this worse. Try to keep the cage at a constant 32 degrees all over for at least two weeks and increase the humidity. That way the snake "runs a fever" which should kill off any bacteria. Dont let the snake cool off in the water bowl but make sure you give her fresh water every day in a very shallow bowl.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Yorick » Fri May 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks bushviper. I did just that when we returned from the vet and only now am I reducing the temp slightly. Do you think the F10 vapor would just help a bit at this point?
Yorick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Mon May 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Yorick wrote:I might try the nebula sing for now, which range of F10 do you use? I have the F10sc vet entry disinfectant, is this the one you are referring to? How long is one session of nebulising? Can I insert the nebuliser nozzle into the cage or should I put her in a separate container? Appreciate all the input thanks

We nebulise the animals within their enclosures and just close off all air vents in order to keep the vapour inside. Nebulising sessions usually last for 30 minutes.

You can just insert the nozzle in to the cage during these sessions.

Edited to add: We use the F10 SC and dilute it with water (ratio 1ml F10 per 250ml water).
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Yorick » Thu May 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks snake charmer I am trying this out. She is looking good and I don't see any bubbling but notice she still yawns a fair amount. She is eating well and has shed as well. Being new to all this I don't want to be paranoid but also don't want to neglect her if she is still recovering.

Can anyone tell me how long it should take for an RI to disappear after having a course of Baytril injections. As I mentioned before she spent 4 days at the terrace road vet and received 7 injections, that was on 23rd April.
Yorick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eclipse » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Do you use the normal F10sc disinfectant ? Ive noticed that there is quite a lot of different F10 products:
http://www.suppliesforreptiles.co.za/in ... hop.browse
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital