Baby Tortise PLEASE HELP

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Baby Tortise PLEASE HELP

Postby Bern46 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi,

Please guys I need help. I have been given a baby tortise, I am not sure what breed he is. He is smaller than the palm of my hand. I went to my local petshop where I bought a cage, grass and heating pad for him. he seems to be very happy and cozie. However to me it seems he doesnt eat. I dont know if its just my imagination but it seems to be that his legs are getting skinnier, and quickly too. I am very worried about the little guy. The pet shop owner told me that the tortise will hibernate, but I am so scared that he dies.

Can someone please assist me or give me some advice.

Thanking you all so much
Bern46
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Baby Tortise PLEASE HELP

Postby Jamster » Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Okay, he needs sunlight. put him outside in a little pen on sunny days, and inside at night or on cold rainy days.
depending on what species he is, maybe post a pic, grass is the best for leopard tortoises, angulates eat little seedlings especially dandelions. place him in a tray of shallow water, not too much and let him drinks every day.

good luck
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Acidity » Thu May 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Let me just say, I know very little about tortoises.

I didn't know tortoises needed heating pads.

Give him a very shallow water-bowl to drink from.

Try feeding him small pieces of lettuce or spinach.
If that fails, try feeding him any kind of red flower (MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE TO EAT FIRST)
If that fails, try feeding him some kind of small insect, like a cricket.

Please keep us posted.
Acidity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Red Flowers? Crickets? Seriously? I don't mean to sound unwelcoming of a new site member, but your posts over the last 24 hours Acidity really give the impression that you don't have a clue what you are on about. Perhaps it would be a good idea to read, listen, and learn, before you try and advise.
Bern46, It would really help us if we knew where you were, as that would give us an idea of what temperatures your part of the country is experiencing, as well as the potential species of tortoise it is, and whatever other info you have such as whomever gave it to you found it in their garden, or they picked it up on a sand dune in the Eastern Cape etc. You appear to be new as well to the game, and it's great that you are asking questions, but you need to give us something to work with here... It's like going to the doctor, you can't just walk in and say "I have a sore ankle" and expect them to treat it based on that...
Leafy vegetables (not just lettuce as it's pretty much just water and has little nutritional value - spinach, cabbage, carrot tops etc are all good), and soft fruit like paw paw, mango, banana etc, and anything like apples, pears, carrots, oranges and so forth are all eaten by most species of tortoise. If it is a really small one, then slice the stuff up really thinly so it is easy to bite through, and don't worry if it doesn't seem to eat that much. They can go a fair bit of time without a huge amount of food. A shallow water dish about 1cm will be sufficient, keep the water fresh and clean. If you're really worried about it, and you're not experienced in keeping reptiles then rather give it to someone who can take care of it properly. They are pretty hardy critters, and don't require much effort to look after, Ideally they should be outside, but they can escape from something that you may think is tortoise proof, and dog's love chewing them to bits. There is plenty of info on torts on the site, do a general search and I am sure that most of your questions will be answered, otherwise feel free to PM me. Good luck with the little fella.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Just ignore Acidities advice. Never feed lettuce and avoid spinach too. Very few will ever eat crickets.

Do a search on here as many people have given good advice on how to keep tortoises. Try to find out what species it is and alwas bear this in mind that you are not allowed to keep any tortoise without a permit and you cannot get one for an illegal animal. If you release it and it is not from exactly the same area that is a crime and ecologically very irresponsible.

Possibly it would be best to just donate him to a zoo that would be able to look after him unless you can find out where it came from.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Fri May 25, 2012 7:35 pm

As I said grass for a leopard tortoise and small flowers for an angulate. No need to feed them funky veggies and fruit that they normally wouldn't eat. I work with a friend at his tortoise sanctuary and with his big mountain tortoises he never mows his front lawn because they do it for him. Please post a picture as this will help a great deal! Angulates have small triangles on the scutes that are on the edge of its shell, baby leopards have leopard spots on their shell and its a parrot beak it will have a maroonish rim to its shell and the scutes have a greenish tinge. Hope this helps :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians