Axolotl Growth Record [Photos]

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Axolotl Growth Record [Photos]

Postby Zeiphex » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm raising some little axies so thought I'd post a photo journal for anyone who is interested. They are now a month old and are growing very nicely. I had 9 to start with, but a week ago the cat managed to fish out and eat one while I was on holiday and boyfriend was taking care of them - very sad about that. Otherwise, I have had no casualties, and, as I'm a first time axie mom, I'm pretty happy. The babies are being fed on baby brine shrimp, frozen (chopped) brine shrimp, live mosquito larvae, live daphnia, and frozen bloodworm. Water is under 20 degrees, gKH of 8 (my tapwater has a gKH of 2, so I add bicarbonate of soda to achieve the desired gKH), and pH around 8. They get daily water changes of about 80-90%.

Day-old hatchlings with R2 for scale:

They only eat tiny live food at this stage. They are dark, despite being Leucistic, and their sides are transparent.

Month-old hatchlings with R2 again:

They have fully developed, functional front limbs now, and eat frozen as well as live food. They are much lighter now and their skin is becoming more opaque.

NO! I can't give you any, so please don't ask. Similarly, don't send me messages asking where/how I got them - if you look properly, you will find them
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Axolotl Growth Record [Photos]

Postby Lillypod » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Ahw i was just about to ask where you got them then saw your last sentence :'( Have fun raising them though...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:17 pm

I've been looking for them for about a year now, no luck so far.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Lillypod, just browse around this forum or Caudata.org (that's what I did). You'll find local people who are willing to let you have some. :) I don't want to give out the person's details who gave them to me, as I am not sure if they would be happy with that.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I can understand that :) I'll see if I can find some. I live in KZN and don't know if there is anyone nearby...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:41 pm

As long as it's in the country, you can just have them shipped over via overnight courier - it's what I did :)
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Oh! Okay! Thank you so much! Did you get them for free or did you buy them?
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm

You aren't allowed to buy exotic amphibiams so they where probably given away.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 am

F1refly - in a lot of parts of SA, you aren't allowed to buy ANY amphibians, not just exotics T_T
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:33 am

I know that, but we were talking about Exotic ones so I didn't think that was relevant at the time. As far as I understand we are allowed to keep certain local frogs but aren't allowed to sell them. I think with exotics you aren't allowed to sell them but are allowed to keep them. Just not allowed to transport them. Weird laws.

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:33 am

I know that, but we were talking about Exotic ones so I didn't think that was relevant at the time. As far as I understand we are allowed to keep certain local frogs but aren't allowed to sell them. I think with exotics you aren't allowed to sell them but are allowed to keep them. Just not allowed to transport them. Weird laws.

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:47 pm

What a cute and interesting little creature! To be honest I have never seen one before. They are really fascinating. I checked in the internet to ;earn a bit more about them. Soooo cute looking. I hope you have loads of joy keeping these little guys. Do keep us updated - I am really interested to know more.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Marion - I remember seeing them in the Snake Park when I was a little kid - my brother and I always loved them. I'm sure that was about 10 years ago now, if not more, haha. They have not had them in a long time. I recently rediscovered them (actually I think it might have been on here) and decided that I must have at least one. These ones are Leucistic (white with black eyes), but I am hoping to get hold of other colours too - my dream would be a GFP (green fluorescent protein) one <3
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:19 am

Hi there
I have never seen these beautiful little creatures before.They are so cute looking. How big do they actually grow? Do they ever leave the water and sit on land? I did have a look on the 'net and found some amazing pictures with beautiful coloured ones. How difficult do you find it to get food for them? I live in the Jhb area so finding shrimp - live ones etc would be a serious problem. They are not something I would consider keeping because I think getting the right food here would be a problem. You are lucky to be able to supply them with the right food. Please do keep us updated - I'm really dying to see how they look as they grow.
Many thanks for the interesting subject.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:50 pm

The pet shops here on the East Rand sell live brine shrimp and blood worms all the time, so it should not be a problem to get hold of them.
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Amphibians