Is the bite venomous???

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Is the bite venomous???

Postby loladeetlefs » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:15 pm

I wonder if someone could help me, i have 2 Tarantula's one scarlet bird eater and a salmon pink......i've had them from when they were still 10c size and now they're both about 13cm in size spread.....what i want to know is are their bites lethal or venomous cause i want to start handling them but unsure if its such a good idea????? ANY ADVICE PLS????
loladeetlefs
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Is the bite venomous???

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 pm

None of the tarantulas or baboons are lethal but you could get a fright and throw the spider. Are you comfortable with rainspiders?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:32 am

In my opinion if you want to get something to handle, get a cat or a chihuahua. All spiders are venemous, as to whether you will have a reaction to that particular species... as I've said before, do you want to be the first person to find out?
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 am

Tarantulas aren't toys and they do not like being handled, contrary to what people think they don't like to be picked up or disturbed. As Sico said all of them are venomous, and there is a risk that you can be allergic to the venom. In my opinion T's are better left alone, those bites do hurt a lot and if you drop him, just from a small hight they will die.

If you do decide to handle them, just be very gentle and calm, don't force them on your hand. i don't know about your L. Klugi but mine as rather aggresive and he does kick up a lot of hair. Should watch out for that too.

Hope you come rgiht!
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 am

I just recently started with T's, I have 4 small ones and the Mexican Red Rump (my first) will climb onto my boyfriend's hand, but not on mine, maybe he can sense that I'm actually scared out of my wits. I don't handle them much, I only pick them up when I really have to and I feed them. My boyfriend is a spider guy and he had a few red rumps before and he said they get somewhat used to being handled. All T's are venomous so if you really want to handle them look for tell tale signs of aggression, just to be safe.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:48 am

As every one has said, yes they are venomous, they can and will bite.
But they don't just bite.

But at the end of the day it is up to you if you wont to hold your spiders.
Something to keep in mind, sit on the floor when holding or over the bed.

Your species tend to be skittish so that why being closure to the floor is better, when they do get a fright they go into high gear and they move in high gear.
Don't cup or push down on the spider.
You will have to learn how to handle the spider by yourself and get use to taking it out.

If you do get bitten, run the bite site under hot water, as hot as you can handle.
Spider venom is protean so the hot water cooks the venom, then go off to your doctor for an injection.
And then deal with the pain and cramps that might follow.

I have not found any bite reports from the two spider you have just this one but it does not have much information on it.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?146369-Lasiodora-parahybana

All up to you.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 pm

fastback wrote:If you do get bitten, run the bite site under hot water, as hot as you can handle.
Spider venom is protean so the hot water cooks the venom, then go off to your doctor for an injection.

All venoms are proteins and hot water might cause it to spread even more. I am not sure this is the best advice.

What injection must the doctor give you? Do you know ............... or will any injection work?

Which cramps do you expect. Stomach, calf muscles, arm muscles or all of them?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sico » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:30 pm

As BV said, yes all venoms do consist of proteins (amongst other things) but not all proteins are heat-labile, and spider venoms are NOT one of those that are, so running your hand under hot water will most likely do absolutely nothing for a bite. As for going to the doctor for "an injection"... most GP's have NO clue as to what is going on with emergency cases, let alone what to do with cases of any kind of envenomation other than a bee sting.
Just don't handle them, they aren't toys.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm

This might not be the same but I read a article about some people doing research on scorpions in Afghanistan and one assistant got stung on the big toe. The first treatment method they used was hot water of 60 degrees and supposedly this method worked according to the head researcher. Before they used the hot water the systems were immediate pain at the sting site, localised swelling, heavy sweating, muscle cramps in the foot, increased pulse rate, heart cramps and uncontrollable shaking. All the symptoms subsided within 30 min after putting the whole leg and foot in the water. The scorpion that stung him was a Mesobuthus eupeus haarlovi which belong to the Buthidae family and they have quite a nasty venom.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 pm

To add though is that there was no medical facility nearby so this is a treatment that only should be considered when all else have failed.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 pm

fastback wrote:

Guess I should of stated Tarantula and not spider.
And said the hot water breaks the protein down.
But Talking about tarantulas venom and tarantula bites, not true spider venom.

Most tarantula bites end up giving cramps, spasms and stiffness and sometimes other symptoms depending on the "spider" species that does the biting. To date No deaths has been recorded from tarantula bites.

The doctor will most properly give you qauterzon injections.
Anti-biotics and some pain medication. (there is not really medicine that helps for tarantula bite)
But the doctor will take out a doctor book and read through it, they will also give you an ice pack to put on the bite site, which seems to cause a lot of discomfort. And go along with what the book says. also will keep you for observation.

Jelly fish venom is one of them that you use hot water on. it breaks the protein down.

Please read this bite report. have to go through to see the other pictures.
http://www.tarantulas.co.za/forum/bite-reports/44963-extra-extra-read-all-about-tagged-by-scalceatum?limitstart=0

http://www.tarantulas.co.za/forum/bite-reports/44963-extra-extra-read-all-about-tagged-by-scalceatum?start=12#45066

There has been 3 people bitten an 3 times hot water has been used, post above is the second time the hot water was used.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scorpion » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:38 am

its simple - if yo dont want to get bitten, dont handle anything that could possibly bite you. If you are concerned about what the venom might do should you get bitten, then dont handle them. Irrespective of what the venom may or may not do, a bite from a large T will still be painful and should this happen, your T will certainly come off worse from being dropped or thrown across the room etc. There is no need to handle T's... I dont know why some people insist on doing it. If you want to handle your T's to "show off" to your mates, please dont keep T's.
http://www.snakesalive.co.za
doug@snakesalive.co.za
@dougandersonza
http://www.facebook.com/snakesalivesa
Scorpion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:51 am

Fastback, no offense, but I seriously think you should stick with what you know, for reference, this isn't one of those things...
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Sico wrote:Fastback, no offense, but I seriously think you should stick with what you know, for reference, this isn't one of those things...

Wow :smt006 , why do people say no offence, when you clearly meant offence with that statement? :roll: ;-)
You basically calling me stupid and I don't know what I'm talking about! Big man on forum! :smt008 :smt011
Maybe go into a bit more detail with your statement above, so I can understand a bit more where you coming from?

That kid response is kind of offences. :smt018.
You don't know me. I don't know you either, you seem pretty much like an ---------- No offence(makes all right) :smt014 :smt016 :smt005
Any way
What do YOU actually know about tarantulas Sico, cause it seems you are one smart dude regarding tarantulas and you know a lot about them all of a sudden and you also seem to know a lot about doctors!?(makes 1 think)
Is that why you are offended all of sudden? :smt017

I still don't understand why you would respond like that, I thought on a forum you debate topics you talk about it and find the answers, you don't cut someone down and basically call them stupid cause you think that is the right way to go about it!! :smt006
(Still the mentality of the forum "gods" they know every thing and every one else must watch out what they say)

You do research on the topic and you find the correct answer if the person is wrong you correct them, you help them in the right direction! and not with silly no offence you don't know what you talking about statement.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

:)
Mark
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Venom Club