Natural environment

Natural environment

Postby NicoG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 am

Hi, I have been looking on the internet and it seems there is a way to set up your vivarium in such a way that it never needs cleaning. I can only find a UK website and the products they mention are all unfamiliar to me. I was wondering if anyone in SA has been able to do this and which local products can be used? (2 x cresties and 1 x day gecko)
NicoG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Natural environment

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Mostly by having small critters in the tank that clean up after the gecko. Isopods do it.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Yip, you can look into pill bugs. I dont know if they can be kept with geckos though.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NicoG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi. Thanks for the information, the website I was reading was taking about a very difficult setup and your info just lead me to a couple of threads on pill bugs. Safe to keep with Gecko's and they will sometimes eat them as well. So now to go search for the little buggers...
NicoG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Francois » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I think you're talking about BSS (Bioactive Substrate System). It only has to be changed when it starts to smell bad. I've been keeping my crested gecko on it for 2 years now and it's really awesome! I've never changed it and it still has that earthy smell to it. It was invented by Philippe de Vosjoli and he has also written in his books about it. The Art of Snakekeeping is a great book that explains how to make it and maintain it.
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NicoG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi, found a link from a guy called Crabtree which has a similar system to the original one you mentioned above. Everything seems quite straightforward, do you use earthworms or any other form of live insect to help you maintain the system? Your help is greatly appreciated.
NicoG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 am

NicoG wrote:Hi, I have been looking on the internet and it seems there is a way to set up your vivarium in such a way that it never needs cleaning. I can only find a UK website and the products they mention are all unfamiliar to me. I was wondering if anyone in SA has been able to do this and which local products can be used? (2 x cresties and 1 x day gecko)

Check my post out about natural setups....http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=28263
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NicoG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks had a look, those vivs looks awesome, gonna give it a try...
NicoG
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Geckos