Something for the Biochemists and snake milkers

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Something for the Biochemists and snake milkers

Postby Herald_23 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I am hoping BV, Justin, Bitis or Croteskeeper and can help me out on this one.

First of all, the belowmentioned (4th paragraph) information is theoretical and should not be tried except for qualified biochemists and doctors

Now, to the theory of consuming venom to build up resistance is just a bunch of bull seeing as your stomach nor your smaller intestine cannot build up a 'memory' against fighting proteins. Can I prove it? Well, have you noticed that every time you eat something you are allergic to, you ALWAYS have an allergic reaction or anaphylaxis? Also, in your stomach proteins are broken into smaller compounds by series of reactions where the waste is filtered out by your kidneys.

Anyways, I digress...
As for MY memory, Leukocytes are the white blood cells that build up a 'memory' to destroy alien substances and bodies (such as venom proteins) entering the body.
Therefore, is it possible that by injecting diluted (reduced solid venom concentration) venom into your body at controlled intervals, you will build up a resistance to that particular venom, as would apply to a virus vaccination?
If so, what compound would you use to dilute the venom?
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Something for the Biochemists and snake milkers

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am

We had some conversations about it. It's called mithridatism.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 am

This is the same process that we use in animals to produce antivenom. It is silly, dangerous and a waste of time.

You would have to inoculate yourself against every single snake you intend handling for this to be effective. Recently a guy who was inoculating himself against cobras and mambas got bitten by a rattlesnake and he very nearly died.

The possibility of becoming allergic to the venom is also very high so it could actually do far more harm than good.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:36 pm

To inject for every snake would a huge amount of stress on the body I reckon. Especially the kidneys!
Thanks it_bit_me and BV
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:29 pm

There's a show called "snake Underworld with Henry Rollins" Give it a watch. There's a guy on there that Injects himself with various snake venoms, and on the show he injected himself with Mamba venom. Although it seemed to have worked, i can't imagine how many years he's taking off his life doing that.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club