hot or not?

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

Re: hot or not?

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Westley, Roland, to go a bit off topic, I'm not usually an asswipe, but when it comes to age versus competence topics, it really gets to me.

Refer to my first comment, it was not completely useless.
I promote youngsters starting with challenges with the right guidelines but when members start spotting splinters in other people's eyes, I can just about sh!t.
To assume that age is directly proportional to the amount of experience that member has is pretty unfounded.

You're welcome to brand me as a d**s and restrict my forum actions, but I'm stating what I feel.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:20 pm

You're right, your first posts wasn't useless, but your next three posts were pretty useless and very know-it-all-ish.

As Roland says, posts like yours push away older, more experienced members (who don't want to read about how people are making TINY spelling mistakes in scientific names) as well as new members (who feel intimidated to post coz other members unnecessarily abuse them).

It's super frustrating to log on, see all the new posts (which us mods have to ALL check) and then end up reading unnecessary posts. So again, if you have nothing constructive to post, rather don't post.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby jka » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:22 pm

westley wrote:You're right, your first posts wasn't useless, but your next three posts were pretty useless and very know-it-all-ish.

As Roland says, posts like yours push away older, more experienced members (who don't want to read about how people are making TINY spelling mistakes in scientific names) as well as new members (who feel intimidated to post coz other members unnecessarily abuse them).

It's super frustrating to log on, see all the new posts (which us mods have to ALL check) and then end up reading unnecessary posts. So again, if you have nothing constructive to post, rather don't post.

What West pointed out is exactly the reason I don't come on as much any more. Useless rambling and comments and petty arguments.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Herald_23 wrote:You're welcome to brand me as a d**s

That would be me BOET. I feel a dance-off coming on. :?:
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cyberduke » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Hey guys, an not very active on this forum but as a 16 year old snake lover I do think my opinion is worthy in this case. First of all is that I don't have venomous experience. I only have 8 corns. I would like to have more snakes but I am very picky and do not buy every second snake. And i do know the responsibility evolved in every new snake. I breed my own mice. I never had to buy a singe mice or even a pinky for hatchings. witch bring me to my opinion. He have done the course and therefore knows how to handle the snakes, and are serious about it. And I can assure you that if you don't sell it to him, he would probably get it somewhere else. And maybe also something much more dangerous also. That is just the opinion of a 16-year old teen.
Cyberduke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Nighties are an awesome choice as long as he can feed them the right diet. Nighties eat a huge amount for their size.
Give the guy as much info from your side too, especially on what to do IF bitten.
As long as you've gotten parental consent and at the end of the day, you're comfortable in your gut and your conscience is clear that he's able to care for them properly, I don't see why you couldn't move forward with the deal.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm

I as a father would prefer to be consulted with before my 16 year old child dabbles with venomous snakes. At the end of the day his/her safety is primarily my responsibility.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby snake kid » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:05 pm

I stopped using the forum mostly because of that same reason just brows now a day's (People acting smart or trying to show off with their smart), but that's not what it is about so back to topic.

Ill get a hold of his parents and if they agree ill sign the permit over so congrats kid I know he's been keeping an eye on this post. Thanks for everyone's input.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jesica » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 am

Cyberduke wrote:Hey guys, an not very active on this forum but as a 16 year old snake lover I do think my opinion is worthy in this case. First of all is that I don't have venomous experience. I only have 8 corns. I would like to have more snakes but I am very picky and do not buy every second snake. And i do know the responsibility evolved in every new snake. I breed my own mice. I never had to buy a singe mice or even a pinky for hatchings. witch bring me to my opinion. He have done the course and therefore knows how to handle the snakes, and are serious about it. And I can assure you that if you don't sell it to him, he would probably get it somewhere else. And maybe also something much more dangerous also. That is just the opinion of a 16-year old teen.

Wise words.
jesica
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Jamster » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Just my 2c, just because its indigenous doesnt mean the doctors will know what to do.I have been bitten by a night adder, painful yes, but thats as far as it goes. I went to st. Georges hospital here in PE after I decided it might be a good idea to get a drip, painkilers, antihistamines and what not.. Naturally there was panic as the staff heard the word 'adder'. They assumed I was going to drop dead at any given moment, not just that but the doctor insisted on giving me polyvalent antivenom, both my boss and myself told him to shove it and stop thinking about the word adder and just give simple symptomatic treatment. There is a serious need for doctors to be educated on how to treat snake bites, wether they be indigenous or exotic.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Jamster you have hit the nail on the head.

I had a "doctor" reprimand a friend of mine for refusing SAVP antivenom which he wanted to inject after a Copperhead bite.

Recently a "doctor" from Limpopo gave a patient polyvalent for a boomslang bite as well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am

ouch.. messy business
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Bv, the bite here in Limpopo, was it legitimate or another teenage crocodile dundee ?
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:05 am

Nope it was a legitimate bite on a worker.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Interesting. Only the second I have ever heard of.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes