Reptile Garden, Cape Town's new Display/Park

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Reptile Garden, Cape Town's new Display/Park

Postby Bjorn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 pm

I thought it was about time to let everyone know what I have been working on for the past few months. Since closing Kleinplasie reptile park due to landlord issues I have been looking for another home. I am glad to say that I have found it at Stodles Nursery in Bellville Cape Town. I really didn’t expect it to be so much work and it has cost me a small fortune.

To tell you a bit more about what I am doing. I am opening a reptile display park and will be displaying around 36 species of reptiles. There will be an entrance fee but it is minimal. I will also be opening a shop but for now just focusing on the display side of things. So all in all it will be a place to learn about reptiles and get all the info and products you need to care for your herps. Stodels has a restaurant and petting zoo for the kids so make sure to make a turn.

Here are a few pictures to show you the work that has been done.

Before
After (Boid, colubrid and lizard section)
Venomous section
Building of the pit
Complete

It is moving fast now so a lot has been done since these pictures.

Cages have 6mm safety glass and are opening to the back where where the area is escape proof as well as temperature controlled with insulation
and aircon as it does get very warm in summer. Cages will have natural substrates and real plants. I am going with
bioactive substrate in most cages that allow it. So the cages have a natural water table. Seem crazy for wood but I think I have worked it all out.

No real shortcuts were taken and I even made an effort on security with installing alarms etc.

Join us on facebook and twitter so please like and follow to stay updated and see when we opening which I hope will be very soon.
http://www.facebook.com/bjornu#!/ReptileGarden
https://twitter.com/ReptileGarden

This is really a dream come true for me “again” and I hope to see you all at some stage or another.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Reptile Garden, Cape Town's new Display/Park

Postby Deimist » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 am

This is GREAT! Right around the corner from where I live!!

You'll probably be seeing a lot more of me than you'd like.
:-D
"I've always liked reptiles. I used to see the universe as a mammoth snake, and I used to see all the people and objects, landscapes, as little pictures in the facets of their scales. I think peristaltic motion is the basic life movement. Swallowing...”
Deimist
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Venommaniac » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 am

Good luck looks awesome. I love the pit idea are you going to future snakes in it.
Venommaniac
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Fooble » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:03 am

Looks Fantastic Bjorn.
I will be sure to pop by when next i'm in the Cape.

Well Done!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bjorn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks guys, The pit is going to have monitor lizards and maybe a dwarf croc in future if I get my way. LOL There are plenty snakes in cages so I thing pits can display other beasts. I do miss my Puff Adder pit though.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 am

Good luck Bjorn - it looks exceptional! I will surely pay you a visit.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 am

Happy you found a new place Bjorn. I am surprised you when with wood especially if you are using a bioactive substrate. I wonder how long your enclosures will last with this set up? I wish you success with this new venture.

Cheers
Warren
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:51 am

Cape Town has needed this. I am glad something decent is being opened. Best of luck Bjorn.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ales » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Awesome stuff! looking good, i will come have a look when i'm down there in December :)
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J_Bay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm

That's awesome! I hope everything works out for you. As for the wood cages, surely if you seal them nicely you won't have too much of a problem?
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brussel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

nice!
my kids will enjoy it as we're regulars at stodels!
Brussel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 pm

The cages were fiberglassed and then coated with pool coat on the 20cm deep base so that part of the cage should last for ever. The rest was varnished with woodoc extertior with can handle a pounding. The top of the substrate will dry and the humidity wont be that heavy that it will affect the wood to much. All the joins are also siliconed. The one unit got soaked with rain before it was varnished that it was holding water and it is perfectly fine. So the wood it pretty good. I am sure in time they will get a bit worn and then hopefully I can place some more perminant fixtures. It might of been cheaper to build with bricks. LOL
I have had a cage made the same that has been going for about 10 years but not under such humidity strain. I am fairly confidant that they should last a fairly long time and maybe with some tlc even longer.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J_Bay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Are your bloods going to live in there too?? They'll be an awesome attraction because how few there are running around!!
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 pm

I will be displaying the Sumatran black blood I have. Only one I kone of left as I have been looking for a male for her. She is getting big and loves piglets.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 am

Sounds like you have made extra sure the wood can resist humidity and should last a very long time, but I have to agree it might have been cheaper to build with brick and plaster. Well done all the same.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements