i got an ingauna for free . . . .

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

i got an ingauna for free . . . .

Postby kinghero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:12 am

Hi, so I got an inguana for free yesterday. The guy says he is about 4 years old. But I’m not too sure he is now about 1.5m including his tail.

He really is gorgeous and it broke my heart having to take him from them because they really do love them but don’t have the cage space, but like they have tem roam outside every day for a few hours I would assume his wife is a house wife, so they had the time. I’ll only be able to do so on weekends.

But JA thought I would share some pictures of the new guy. Never had an inguana before, it’s exciting

kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Re: i got an ingauna for free . . . .

Postby taiwanbeauty » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am

I think that male is actually a female.
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 am

Hhahah How would i know ?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:06 pm

He looks pretty well fed. I hope you plan on building him a big cage outside so that he can go there during the day. He also needs a really varied diet and NO ANIMAL PROTEIN. Read up all you can on iguanas and this animal could be your pet for many years to come.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kinghero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Thank you BV. I have been reading up on them the whole day. Found a lot of info on SA Reptiles and a few other sites. Also busy drawing up plans to build and outside enclosure that can be easily moved as I am renting at this stage. I saw a video were they have a lot of fresh herbs growing in there garden, and I like that idea so will be starting one as well.

He seems to be well fed, but the people I got him from says they guy they bought him from said his about 4 years old. This would mean he is small for 4 if you compare against some of the pictures I have seen.

He is not to aggressive, but was a little stressed after the trip home, so he did struggle a lot and try to whip me but did not try to byte once. I hope I’ll be able to tame him by handling him, I know they don’t go tame and only learn to trust you but I would like to reach that state.

Any advice would happily be taken.
Thanks again BV and I have taken down everything you said.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Silly Question, Can i feed my igauna beet root ?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:12 pm

:D Some better Pic's. He is just so cute.

kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Donatello » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 am

Awh I'm so jealous!!!

Congrats! Enjoy him :-D
Conserve energy... fart in a jar
Donatello
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 pm

He/she is a really handsome fellow or pretty girl - depending. I hope you have many years of fun taking care of him/her. I have 2 boscs and even though the male hates to be picked up the female does tolerate it some of the time. I have been told that they can be difficult to tame and it has taken me over a year to tame my two - they were completely "spaced/freaked out" when I first got them as babies and I have the scars to prove it!! At least they have gotten over the biting stage and Louis will only whip his tail now and again and give the odd hiss. Lily doesn't do that any more so it seems my patience is being rewarded at last.

They seem to feel better when I prop them up on my shoulder when I hold them, so I do handle them as often as I can. I keep them inside when it's very cold but they also have a large outside cage for during the summer.

Enjoy your new baby and keep us updated on your progress.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards