need some feedback/advice

Re: need some feedback/advice

Postby Groenslang » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Looking good! Regarding the sealant, you can look at marine sealent from Woodoc. It comes in a blue can and you paint it on. Its clear so you keep the wood look. Works like a gem, used it in my pine cages that had a lot of humidity and water splashing and got no problems. Think about it. Really simple method IMO! Good luck
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi fishy.

Thanks for the link. the main reason that the one member says not to put a waterfall in is due to tue fact that it increases humidity and that cresties dont like it :smt017 that is first I ever heard of them not liking humidity.

I read the link on my phone, so I will read it at another stage in peace and quite. from all the other research i have done the negative points for a waterfall is the feces and the chance of drowning. luckily i still have a month to make up my mind.
0.1.0. Wildtype corn snake
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fishy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:27 am

Cresties like humidity, but not constant high humidity. General what people prefer for them is to spray them at night and mornings. so to get the humidity up during night time to give the effect of evening/morning mist. I usually keep mine at about 75-90% at night. then in the day you let it drop down to about 50%. from what most people have found the cresties prefer this. I'm in the process of looking at misters and perhaps a small waterfall that will not have alot of water falling and very shallow water as i just want to grow some water plants, and probably floating ones.
Fishy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Yeah that is also what I researched (regarding humidity). I got a very stupid question though. what is the best way to mount the glass railings against the wood?
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm

I usually screw in the rails and glue it down to prevent it from coming off.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Was also thinking of screws, but what glue do you use? Like what is the strongest non toxic glue I can use. I am considering something called no more nails and the just sealing it with marine silicone just incase of toxicity.
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 pm

I used a hot glue gun but you can't just use glue, rather be safe than sorry and use small screws too.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Cool. thanks. I did a small change to mu build, but will post some new pics tomorrow.
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fishy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:19 pm

The one problem i have with screws is that they chip the glass. the glue should hold. and use marine silicone. if you're using screws try and countersink them.
Fishy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 pm

I used small screws in one of my old snake cages to keep the runners attached, I spaced them evenly apart so the glass could actually slide on screws, I did not have any issues, and my Brother in-law who bought the enclosure from me has not had issues with it.
The enclosure is 1.2m long by 700mm high, and is 5mm glass.
The fairly small wood screws, the gold colour, I don't know the name of the ones I used.

But you will only need to put 2 or maybe 3 screws and then the glue to hold the runners.
You don't really have a massive snake or lizard that will be applying force onto the glass and the runners.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 am

OK cool.

Well.. I am STILL deciding on if I should put in a waterfall or not :smt021 . But here is the story so far:

I finished the bottom cupboard, so it now has a door attached. It is not as flush as I am hoping it would be, but here ya go.

For now I put Azura into a temporary Viv so that she doesnt have to suffer at my indecisiveness:

And this is the project as it is so far:

After working on the bottom cupboard and feeling like a tripple jointed contortionist I have decided not to put the small wooden beams in front of the viv but rather make it one large open window consisting of 3 overlapping glass panes. Still working on the finer details of that but I will keep you updated.
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 am

looking good - did the hubbly help?
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 am

LOL... excuse the mess... and no worries... no illegal substances are smoked :D
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 am

OK.. just a quick question.

In order to mount the fake branches I used expander foam and cured it for 24 hours. I made 100% sure that is completely dry.

Now all the places I read up on it says it is only toxic while drying, but I read an article now that it is toxic, no matter what.
So I rather want to make sure before something happens.

Therefor, fully cured expander foam: toxic or not?
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 am

where was the article saying this?
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosure building