new to gecko's need help

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks exotic to South Africa.

View Gallery

new to gecko's need help

Postby nev210 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Hi , am new to gecko's and need some.information and guidens please if anyone can help,

am looking to buy two gecko's hopefully stll young as i want to tame them and handle thequiteoften, am looking into the leapord gecko but i see theres so many diffrent ones, diffrent colours and diffrent tails, i like all full colour ones but dont know were to buy them from i stay in the pretoria area, and are really serious to start getting my own babies :) can someone maybe tell me of a giod.place that can help me and whitch geckos will be the best to have as pets, nice colours and can be tamed.

Like i said am new to this and any information will help, thanks in advance have a good day :)
nev210
SA Reptiles Member

Re: new to gecko's need help

Postby Lillypod » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 pm

I have 3 leopard geckos and they are wonderful pets and even if they do bite (my one male is a bit grumpy) it doesn't hurt, they eat like monsters and are quite hardy. They make great beginners and are pretty even though they are "normal" and not a morph.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Leopard Geckos or African Fat-tails are the best in my opinion. They're generally calm and allow handling, but you will get the select few that won't like it too much. I have one female that will run as soon as she sees my hand coming, and another that will even eat out of my hand. Both species aren't too difficult to feed as most have good appetites, but some seem to prefer a single food item and won't pay any attention to others.

All you need for them to thrive is a waterbowl, a food bowl, calcium and a humidity / moist box.

Haven't seen too many pics of AFT's on the forum, but If you go through the Leopard Gecko threads I'm sure you will agree that they come in many different morphs. And as Lillypod said, even the normals look good!
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 am

Check your inbox
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nev210 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for all the help :)

Any one know a bredder or seller in the.pta/jhb area???

Enjoy
nev210
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:36 pm

There are lots of gecko breeders in and around JHB, so I'm sure finding some won't be a problem. Some babies are started hatching already, so they should be on the market soon.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic Lizards