Hypocrisy, poor conduct and rudeness

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Hypocrisy, poor conduct and rudeness

Postby krah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Dear SaReptiles administrative team and fellow members, I am fully aware that this is post is inevitably going to start a flood of comments, argumentative reactions and in all likeliness get my account deactivated, but I am compelled to submit it none-the-less.

I have not been a member of the forum for very long but in my short time here I have encountered endless unpleasantries (however, I do still enjoy the site and find it very helpful/informative), and much to my dismay the unpleasant aspect seems to be emanating from the administrative team. To explain more clearly: quite often while perusing the discussion boards I come across a post, usually asking a question, that has been answered in a rather blunt and condescending manner, for example; viewtopic.php?f=128&t=29599. I can understand that long standing or admin members may be tired of reading what they view as “silly” or “obvious” questions, but a simple “refer to the classifieds section” would have sufficed, and the picture was entirely unnecessary. In fact, please refer to rule 3 of the forum rules and you will find that such an image is a direct violation of aforementioned rule, and in regards to requesting members to search before asking (forum guidelines point 2), perhaps include instructions on how to gain more accurate results (by the use of inverted commas) as the search engine on the site is word orientated.

Then comes the issue of the quality of posts; I myself have been “guilty” of this, as in one post I made two typing errors (I forgot to capitalise my “I” and in an honest typing error I left the “e” off of “love”) for which I received my first official warning. While I do feel that the quality must be monitored, surely those responsible can distinguish between typing errors and general illiteracy/laziness? Coincidentally, a few days later a post appeared regarding warnings (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=29564) which proceeded to evolve into a petty argument and, in conjunction with some further reading, brought to light some severe hypocrisy. I have found numerous pieces written by administrative members that are, amusingly, badly written, grammatically incorrect and poorly structured. I will not cite all of these, but one can be read at the following link viewtopic.php?f=68&t=18351. I chose this one due to the topic heading and nature of the post - definition of hypocrisy anyone?

I feel that there is a need for common decency, respect and patience between members of the forum. If the administrative/senior members of the forum can remember that at one stage you were all new (to both the forum and the world of reptile keeping) perhaps you will be more understanding and not disregard the younger/newer members in their quest for knowledge/guidance.
I will be viewing the responses to this post so as to see the reactions of fellow members, but in order to avoid getting into any arguments I will not respond to any negative replies. Thank you for reading this rather lengthy post, and please let us try keep this discussion polite and formal.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hypocrisy, poor conduct and rudeness

Postby Venommaniac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm

It is true and there has been alot of this on the forum. Thank you for voicing your oppinion, I wont say anymore because I don't want the main point lost and turned into an argument about me.
Venommaniac
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby kinghero » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I to have had warnings issued to me, and also put up a fight about it. In the end though if you sit back and think about it, realization will come, as I realize the Idea is not about who is right and who is wrong, it's about what is right and what is wrong, Actions and Deeds not people.

What ever reason you have for making your mistake, be it intentional ( that's how you write every day ) or unintentional, it is still wrong and there needs to be someone to point it out to you, keep on doing it and there needs to be action taken to show you the error of your ways.

and this can be debated all day but without law anarchy rules, I have grown fond of this forum and want to see it grow not fall apart, and that's why I take time to write and rewrite and read before I post.

The "you" does not refer to either Venommaniac or Krah its "you" in general to all who has done this.

As for hypocrisy, well that depends on which side of the valley you are, I mean if you don't want me to smoke in your house but you smoke in your house does that make you a Hypocrite? or does that make you the owner of the house with your reasons ? you might not want me smoking in your house, as you know I am a messy smoker. ( just an example )

Come on guys, you chose to join, if this kind of stuff bothers you maybe take it up with the respective person via a PM. Not like this.

Regards
Kinghero
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Fair enough, image in http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=29599 has been removed. It was out of line. Your intentions are ultimately good but....

I will not cite all of these, but one can be read at the following link viewtopic.php?f=68&t=18351. I chose this one due to the topic heading and nature of the post - definition of hypocrisy anyone?

That comment may just award you with the negative response you were hoping, I think, not to receive.

I will be viewing the responses to this post so as to see the reactions of fellow members, but in order to avoid getting into any arguments I will not respond to any negative replies.

Ok so you want to be able to dish out heat but not accept any? You can only expect negativity with a condescending tone, but from your post I can deduce you are an older and experienced person so surely I'm telling you something you should already know?

If a person can submit a post, he/she can submit a search queiry. Simple.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Darius Basson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Thank you for removing that pic Froot.

Kind regards
Darius
Bristow Academy Inc.
USAF 23d Flying Training Squadron
Darius Basson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby krah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Froot; thank you for removing the image I linked in my original post, and please allow me to apologise if my second link, and the rhetorical question that followed, offended you. My intentions were only to point out that A) anyone can make errors, and B) that under enough scrutiny most posts could be found to contain errors.

In regards to the second point of your response, I did not mean to infer that I would not be accepting of criticism or negative feedback. But rather that I did not wish to be drawn into an ill natured argument, as I do enjoy being a member of the forum and have no desire to create hostile relations.

Thank you for the comment in regards to your deduction, however, I am only 23 and still have a lot to learn about reptile keeping. which is why I was offended by the bluntness/impatience I had seen on the forum, I joined in order to learn from more experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts. I think perhaps the reason for your deduction can be drawn from the manner in which my post was written? For the sake of clarity (and background information); I am an English teacher, which is why I also had to humbly admit my past typing errors (insert embarrassed face here!)

Kinghero the overall point of my post was not aimed at warnings due to poor quality posts, sorry if it appeared that way. Ultimately I wished to ask for patience towards newer/less knowledgeable and younger members.

It does seem that responses in this thread have all been polite and constructive, which is what, I believe, both the administrative and general members of the forum wish to see.

Thank you all.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 am

krah if you see the number of posts that we remove or edit then you will understand that we do get tired of spoon feeding members. If they take the time to read the rules when they join, we will have far fewer of these incidents.

If you get a warning which you feel is unwarranted then just ask one of the other admin or moderators to have a look at the incident. We ALL make mistakes from time to time.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm

To be honest I have never read the forum rules. I think that if you can spell correctly and you use the correct grammar, coupled with common sense, you can use this forum to help others and better yourself without any hasslses.

One thing that does really grate my carrot is when new users ask for advice, which is sometimes funny depending on how ridiculous the question is, but for at least two pages they get stupid sarcastic comments. I may have done this once or twice myself, but I have taken a disliking to this.

Its as simple as this. We are not all on a level playing field, some are more knowledgeable than others. And some are definately more argumentative than others etc. etc. So there is going to be some form of disagreement.

Some people cannot help the fact there post quality doesnt have the greatest grammar. No offence at all as I really enjoy reading their posts, but I have noticed that Kenny's posts and Viperhunter's posts dont have the greatest grammar. But, its the best english they speak and they both have some amazing experiences and knowledge to share. Which is what this forum is all about.

Bugger, I am missing a lecture as I type!

Cheers guys
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lilli » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:43 pm

I have been away from the site for a while, and have eventually had the time to catch up on a fair amount of topics that I have missed out on in the past few months. When I came across these topics, I had to wonder why this is such a big issue to everyone???

Yes, we all start at the bottom and talk to and/or question [mostly question] the more knowledgeable people to better ourselves [and hopefully all on this forum agrees with this point] with regards to our passion in life – our reptiles, invertebrates, etc.
As a member stated in another topic [and I apologise, I cannot seem to find that post now, otherwise I would have figured out how to link it in this post], some members are afraid to ask questions as they may seem silly to the more knowledgeable people. We all started there and learned from our mistakes.

I have searched all sorts of topics on this site and there seems to be something of everything. So yes, I agree with the search first and question later.

BUT...

If you wish to abide by this then unfortunately BV you need to change your signature at the bottom of your posts...
“It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.”

With regards to the warnings, easy... [for people like me that are somewhat technologically challenged and do not know about all the fancy Google spell checks and other tools...] I type my replies in a Word document. When I am done, I copy and paste it into the reply and submit. Viola, spelling checked and all is fine. But that is just me...

Lastly and most importantly, I agree completely with krah about common decency, respect and patience between members of the forum, as we all love our animals and only want the best for them.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Lilli
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Over the years I have seen many trying to start a new reptile site. I have also seen most of them fail. Why? Mainly, not well administrated. There is a lot to learn here if you want to. Keep up the good work mods and admin.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:32 am

I agree with all that was said. But this warnings and "blue" members run in cycles. Every now and then there is a big influx of new members, that burst on the forum. They are then using this cellphone grammar and spelling, needlessly inflaming topics and get argumentative when reminded of the rules. That said some of the members that had restrictions are now people that post quality replies and has a positive contribution on the forum. Those that stay "blue" members eventually fade, because they are unwilling to adhere to the forum rules.

And as MrG said because of strict rules and the enforcement thereof this site is still here where others have failed
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 am

Here we go: A perfect example of lazy posting.

This topic is by the same member that I incorrectly had a go at with the distasteful image as mentioned earlier in this topic. As you can see some people are incapable of taking a hint, or they just couldn't care less. Over 40% of this persons's posts are new topic starters and most of these topics have been discussed in depth before. Now where do you think that line is between stroking newcomers and maintaining an acceptable standard on the board?

I have mentioned this to other admins a while ago but I see some changes looming, in the form of autopruned sections where topics can be started and restarted as the public sees fit while the admins move good topics from this section into archived sections where discussions can continue, but under anal moderator control. New members will not be able to post in the archived sections until their contributions become substantial.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Pieter89 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 pm

froot wrote:Here we go: A perfect example of lazy posting.

This topic is by the same member that I incorrectly had a go at with the distasteful image as mentioned earlier in this topic. As you can see some people are incapable of taking a hint, or they just couldn't care less. Over 40% of this persons's posts are new topic starters and most of these topics have been discussed in depth before. Now where do you think that line is between stroking newcomers and maintaining an acceptable standard on the board?

I have mentioned this to other admins a while ago but I see some changes looming, in the form of autopruned sections where topics can be started and restarted as the public sees fit while the admins move good topics from this section into archived sections where discussions can continue, but under anal moderator control. New members will not be able to post in the archived sections until their contributions become substantial.

I used the search function and could not find any decent information on permits for indigenous venomous reptiles in Gauteng. I am sorry if I used the search function incorrectly, but quite frankly - the easier option for administrators or another member would be to give the person asking the question a link to the thread that "have been discussed in depth before".

In any case - using the search function is one of the "laziest" things one can do - how is starting a new thread lazier? It must either be that the member didn't think about using the search function or couldn't find anything on it...
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 am

The point of using the search funtion is that it doesnt clog SAreps up with fifty topics all talking about the same thing.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 am

froot
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Discussions