Permits needed??

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Permits needed??

Postby breebree172 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:17 am

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows what reptiles are allowed in what areas of South africa, with or without permits?
I have heard things like you cannot keep a monitor in Cape Town but you can in JHB, you have to have a permit for a snake in Cape Town but not JHB,
please if you guys can assist me with what is allowed where and what is needed, i would REAllY appreciate it!
Whatsapp: 0794902351
breebree172
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Permits needed??

Postby snake kid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:38 am

Tell us where you live then we can help out with your permits or do you want a all over run down? Basically in the Western Cape you need permits for all reptiles but some are not allowed not sure which are and aren't though.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby breebree172 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:44 am

just a basic rundown for all the regions, maybe someone from all the major regions can say whats what in their region?
Whatsapp: 0794902351
breebree172
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:56 am

Permits are required for all indigenous reptiles in all provinces except KZN, with the exception of Gaboons, monitors, crocodiles and Afrocks. Permits are required for these in KZN. The Western Cape requires that all reptiles are on permit, whether indigenous or exotic. Gauteng does not require permits for exotic reptiles only indigenous.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 am

When you say indigenous, do you mean the snake itself, or the species?
Let say I want to go to SA with my housie, apparently the parents of my snake were wc in malawi, according to the guy I got him of. Would he be counted as indigenous?
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hantam » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:33 am

In the Northern cape you need a permit for all reptiles or any action with them. You guys in KZN I found this in the old Natal act is it still in action

"104 Export and import
(1) Save as provided in subsection (2) -

(a) no person shall export from the Province any indigenous amphibian, invertebrate or
reptile, except in accordance with a permit granted in terms of section 106;

(b) any person or his authorised agent who delivers any indigenous amphibian, invertebrate
or reptile at a post office, airport or railway station or to any ship owner or his agent for export from the
Province, shall at the same time exhibit the permit authorising such export, issued in terms of section 106,
to the appropriate person appointed at such post office, airport or railway station or to such ship owner or
his agent, and until such permit is so exhibited such indigenous amphibian, invertebrate or reptile shall not
be accepted for such export.

(2) Nothing contained in subsection (1) shall apply to the export from the Province of any
indigenous amphibian, invertebrate or reptile by any scientific or educational institution registered with the
Board for the purpose.

(3) No person shall import into the Province any indigenous amphibian, invertebrate or reptile
unless he is in possession of a valid licence or permit, granted to him by a competent authority, authorising the export of such indigenous amphibian, invertebrate or reptile from any area or place outside the Province where such licence or permit may be necessary in terms of any law operative in such area or place, and the person effecting such importation shall produce such licence or permit on demand by any officer or honorary officer."
To herp or not to herp that is the question
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 am

Hantam: ok so no indigenous reptile may leave the province of KZN, without the relevant export/transport permit to any other province in the country, what about exotics? or can a breeder in Durban let's say " sell and transport a reptile to someone in your province Northern Cape without a export permit/transport??? secondly i know that the buyer in Northern Cape, Western Cape, Eastern Cape would need to apply for an Import permit of such Exotic reptile first and once approval is granted then he can transport this animal. But must the seller in KZN also obtain an export permit on this exotic animal? and what if a exotic reptile is sold from KZN to Gauteng, both provinces don't have a permit sytem on exotics, so what would apply here? Sorry for all the questions but at the best of times, most people don't know all the facts as they don't have dealings with Conservation at all.

Also just out of interest i live in the Eastern Cape, East London, if i desire to purchase a snake from one of our local pet stores, then the Pet Shop owner would first have to submit a permit to Conservation saying he is selling, me ,i.e 1 x Corn Snake, once this permit is approved and given back to the pet store, then i may go and collect my reptile. Does this apply in Johannesburg, Durban as i know you can go into any pet stores in these province and purchase a exotic reptile without paper work and drive it home. But what if your home is across a provincial border? Pet Shop owners and prospective buyers don't really discuss the legalities of where the animals will be housed at the point of sale (Till) and Pet Shop owners aren't really going to tell some guy from Bethlehem " Oh sorry sir we need to first submit a permit to KZN Conservations offices for you to transport this reptile into the Free State, and you sir first need to apply at your Conservation offices in the Free State for a import permit, and this process will in all likely hood take many weeks, in fear of losing a sale. NOw i'm not taking a knock at Pet Shop Owners or Reptile Breeders, but i believe most people don't know what each provinces requirements are and when they need to apply, and even how to apply.

I personally have attend our Border Herp Club for the last 5 years and never ever have i seen a Conservation representative present at our meetings, we have invited them on numerous times. Can someone from Conservation that is a member on this forum please lay it out, what is expected legaly in each province and between provinces please
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hantam » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:39 am

by Sly » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 am
Hantam: ok so no indigenous reptile may leave the province of KZN, without the relevant export/transport permit to any other province in the country, what about exotics? or can a breeder in Durban let's say " sell and transport a reptile to someone in your province Northern Cape without a export permit/transport??? secondly i know that the buyer in Northern Cape, Western Cape, Eastern Cape would need to apply for an Import permit of such Exotic reptile first and once approval is granted then he can transport this animal. But must the seller in KZN also obtain an export permit on this exotic animal? and what if a exotic reptile is sold from KZN to Gauteng, both provinces don't have a permit sytem on exotics, so what would apply here? Sorry for all the questions but at the best of times, most people don't know all the facts as they don't have dealings with Conservation at all.

Sly that is also what I would like to know and if I understand it correct the guys in KZN must have a export permit from the other province if any indigenous animal is imported into KZN from the another province??? :smt017 .
To herp or not to herp that is the question
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Ok hantam, so to be on the safe side and legal side, what do we as breeders, Pet Shops and Reptile Traders tell prospective clients, in different provinces to contact there local Conservation Offices regarding what species can be allowed firstly into that perticular province and what the paper work involved would be?

Also i have a copy or Species List from our Conservation Offices in East London of what is allowed in the Eastern Cape, but find this list to differ between different regions within the Eastern Cape, example: i applied 2 years ago for Red Spitting Cobra (Naja Palladia) permits in The Eastern Cape, my permits were refused on the grounds that the species was not on our allowed species lists into the Eastern Cape and that it would be discussed at a Biodiversity meeting held between all heads of Eastern Cape Conservation. My permits were declined. I recently have established that another Snake Keeper in the Eastern Cape was granted Red Spitter permits through a different Eastern Cape Conservation office. Now again i'm not pointing fingers at anyone at all, all we asking is that clarity can be made and that species lists held in each province, which do change from time to time can giving to the relevant Chairman of the main Herpertoligical Clubs in South Africa. This should then filter down to most reptile keepers across the country. Also if maybe we could have a forum on SA Reptiles that covers this issue, Permiting Laws/ Regulations of each province, as well as species updates.

We could maybe with the help of the members here get the relevant details of each provinces Heads of Conservation who deal with permits and regulations regarding species and transportation thereof for: Gauteng, North Cape, KZN, and so on.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Can you display indigenous reptiles as for sale in a petshop ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Usually having a reptile in an area where trade takes place indicates that these reptiles are being traded with. Gauteng use this as a guideline for prosecutions. I am not sure if you indicate that they are "not for sale" whether this gets you off the hook. I would rather check with the local authorities. Get it in writing.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby DylanT » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:10 am

Hello I was just wondering would I need a permit for a Bloukop Koggelmander in Gauteng and if so what do I need to do to get one ?
DylanT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 am

Yes you would need a permit. The only way to get a permit is to buy a Bloukop Koggelmander from someone who has permits for his. He can then transfer the permit to you.

There's no way (in Gauteng) of catching an animal in the wild and getting permits for it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby StriderWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:02 pm

hay guys and girls!

can you tell me what exotic snakes and reptiles need permits in limpopo i know you need permits for any locale snakes just what about exotic

thanks
StriderWolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 pm

StriderWolf you do not require permits for any exotics although green iguanas are not allowed.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Reptile Keeping