Afroc at Petshop Sold as Burmese

Afroc at Petshop Sold as Burmese

Postby Ryuu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:59 am

Good Morning All..

Yesterday i stopped at a pet shop I passed..

And as Always I Checked what they had for sale... and was astounded to find a fairly large Afrock Being sold as a Burmese... I didnt want to make a scene so i left it at that.. maybe some of you could give me some advice.. It also might have just been a mistake on my Part.. But i have seen many Afrocs and that definitely looks like an Afroc to me.. Picture of the snake below.

Other then the incorrect Label the snake seems to be in good Condition..

There where other Snakes that had incorrect Labels.

The Pet shop was also Very Expensive.. Was Selling Corns For R700.

But im not saying its a bad place.. Just trying to understand why they would have an Afroc in the First Place..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Afroc at Petshop Sold as Burmese

Postby Roann » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 am

It certainly is a Rock python. I was just as shocked wen I saw two young puffies at a pet shop this week
The owner also had a flapneckchameleon, a was not able to take pictures, and thy were not for
sale so I assumed he had permits.
Roann
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 am

He still Might have a permit for it.. I did not question him about it.. Just found it strange..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 am

Both of you need to call 0827590078 and if you dont get feedback I can send you some more numbers via PM.

The chameleon will not be on permit I can promise you that.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Urucone » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Next time when any person see a indigenous reptile kept at a pet store, go to the owner or manager, inform them what they have inside their shop, maybe that pet store owner paid money for it so, it's going to be a lost and if the wrong person notice the snake he or she will get a huge fine,(reptiles is all about educating people), give the shop owner a week and if he didn't heed you're warning phone the closest zoo or n.s.p.c.a, I know that there are reptile guy's out there that sells indigenous reptiles as exotics like Cameroon monitors(rock monitors), Burmese or ball pythons (African rock pythons), garter snakes (sand/grass snakes), Madagascar dwarf chameleons (flap neck chameleons), emperor scorpions (African flat rock scorpions) ext. these are the ones that I know about, but people do make mistakes and if we want the pet stores to support us as breeders and reptile enthusiasts we have to help out, I have a few pet stores that phone me on a daily basis asking, what animal it is, what do they need to keep it and how much is it worth and in exchange I get their support through better prices, bargains and business.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Will Do.. People make mistakes.. Next time Im there il tell him what snake it is in a casual manner..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 am

I dont agree. Pet shops have the opportunity to get educated. SAPTA hold courses year after year and only a small percentage attend these courses. The pet shops cannot expect to be spoon fed. If you want to become a plumber you have to know what the difference is between various pipes, and the same should apply to pet shops. Ignorance is not an excuse.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby eyelash viper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:43 pm

I actually know exactly what pet shop this is I recognize the cage and snake and that snake has been there for a long time! I had a big argument with the old man who is running the place and told him exactly what it is and he argued with me for about 15 min saying its a red tail boa... The expression on his face gave me the impression he did know what snake it was and trying to act dumb. I also explained to him what trouble it can get him in but ignorance I guess I have not been back there since.
Nature is there for every mans need Not his greed !!!
eyelash viper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Um Just scared of ruffling feathers... always the diplomat..

But it is serious... and needs action..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 pm

I know there is no excuse for pet stores doing things like this but we all started somewhere, either by handling puff adders with welding gloves or keeping snakes on cat litter ext. everyone learn at some stage
BV - the sapta courses covers the basics on husbandry and so on, but it doesn't teach you to know the difference between a burm and a afrock. I support the fact that if a pet store don't know what they are doing, stay away, but an idiot is an idiot, all that you can do is try to teach (educate him), so that he or she can pass on the experience.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Roann » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:30 pm

I will visit the shop again this week and ask the owner, if he as the necessary papers
for them
Roann
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)