Expert Q & A

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Expert Q & A

Postby leonthemenace » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm

I have a suggestion and would like to have some input from any members on the forum. I have been on this site for a while now, and it just seem to me that a lot of questions are answered by the same people and the responses are usually ended off with "this is what I read". What about a dedicated evening weekly or monthly, where the respective guys and gals in the know come online for an hour or two to answer any newbie questions. Kind of like a call in radio interview with a pro in the respective field. You could ask Richard Mastenbroek to do an evening on Cobras or Tracey Barker to cover the Ball Pythons Q & A. Or even some of our local pro's to provide some insight. Out of the fist i can think of a couple of people that will be able to give some valuable advice on various species.
There will probably questions like "my snake doesn't want to eat" but can we bear with the newbies as at some point most of us were the newbies on this very forum and also new to all things snakes or other reptiles related.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Expert Q & A

Postby Bushviper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 am

Excellent idea. We could look into possibly the chat function or else possibly Skype or something similar. Talking will be easier than typing. Even if its "my snake does not want to eat" that will be fine.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Leonthemenace, the opportunities for monthly meetings are done at the THA. Speakers are invited and BV do advice the topic in advance.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby @ndy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 pm

TJ&ACP wrote:Leonthemenace, the opportunities for monthly meetings are done at the THA. Speakers are invited and BV do advice the topic in advance.

Yes but not all can attend the THA, I think this is a brilliant idea Leon.
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 pm

I like the Skype idea BV, I for one would benefit by it since i work late hours and can not attend any of the THA meetings.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 pm

If we can get questions typed and the answers done live then we will not have people talking over each other.

Does anyone know how "internet radio" works because that will possibly be the best idea to just use that technology?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 pm

This is a great idea for SA Reptiles (BV sorry again if it’s against the rules) here is a link of our UK forum doing the same sort of thing and I think it`s brilliant.
http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co. ... ed-guests/
Check the stickys.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support