Thermostat for heating AND cooling

Thermostat for heating AND cooling

Postby peter120886 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Does such a thermostat exist? all the ones I have seen/used switch power to the mat/cable when the temperature drops... is there any available that can switch power to a seperate socket for cooling. thus providing heat when the temperature drops, and providing cooling when the temperature rises too much.
hayterherps@gmail.com
peter120886
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Thermostat for heating AND cooling

Postby Davidc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:05 pm

They do exist. There is one available locally that controls heating, cooling and humidity. Sells for around R1000. Reptile city had them on their website before it got hacked. I know of one at a local petshop that I will get as soon as funds allow.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm

You can use the same type of thermostat you used for heating to do the cooling with a 220v relay on the output and connect the cooling device through the normally closed relay contact.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Davidc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 pm

froot wrote:You can use the same type of thermostat you used for heating to do the cooling with a 220v relay on the output and connect the cooling device through the normally closed relay contact.

That will work but it's not such a good idea as you will always be heating or cooling. The relay will switch between heating and cooling depending on the input to the coil. i.e. either N.O or N.C. What you need is a controller that does not energise your heater or fan when the PV (process value) and the SP (set point) are within a predetermined range. Say between 28 to 30 degrees C.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby peter120886 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 am

Froot when I read your reply last night I thought it was absolutelty GENIOUS! a simple solution that I would never have thought of... and then I started thinking about it. David has raised the very same concern, the minute the heating is shut off, the cooling will begin. This will not allow a happy medium to be reached. I will likely purchase the unit from ReptileCity, there is no rush as it is for a chest freezer that I am converting to an Incubator for next season.
hayterherps@gmail.com
peter120886
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm

No, you use a second thermostat set to the top limit temperature. You shouldn't set your temperature range so fine, make it least 5 degrees between top and bottom limit otherwise your heating and cooling devices will be working overtime, and strategic placement of your sensors will have a major influence on the success of your setup.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Davidc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 pm

allanmullaly wrote:Honeywell Prestige HD 7 Day programmable thermostat is absolutely according to your need. This one quite capable for adjust heating and cooling temperature.

Doubt that they will be available in South Africa and importing will be very expensive.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 pm

I assume you have a room that gets to hot - so you want to cool it when it gets to hot and warm it when it gets to cold?

Why not use 2 thermostats - one set to cooling mode and the other set to heating.
It wont cost more than R800 to do and then you will have 2 light timers as well, use one for a basking lamp and the other for ambient light.

my 2c
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby peter120886 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Brad the specific reason for this post was for an incubator that I am building, I converting a chest freezer... however the room that it's going to be in does get very hot +- 37 on a blazing day so I was concerned about the incubator getting too hot inside.
I just wanted to put some feelers out to see what is available. hopefully I will get the incubator sorted in the next month or two and then I will be able to see if I do infact need to run cooling as well as heating.
You raise a good point however about controlling the entire room, it is likely that all my animals will eventually land up in this room (4.2 x 4.2 wendy-house) as the boss (wife) has lots of plans for the realestate in the house. so controlling the entire room is ultimately the answer.
hayterherps@gmail.com
peter120886
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

You need to reduce the temperature of the room. In the event of a power cut you do not want the snakes (or eggs) dying.

Look at replacing the roof with an insulated DRP roof panel from Isowall. (http://www.isowall.co.za/Isowall/isowal ... ich-panels). The walls (or ceiling) can be insulated with Isotherm material (http://www.isotherm.co.za/isotherm/prod ... ifications) which you staple to the walls with a staple gun and then you cover that with either masonite or ceiling board. You can also look at a whirly bird extractor however you need to put mesh in the bottom so that snakes cannot use that as an escape route.

Varnish the outside of the wendy every two years and the investment you put into the wendy will pay you back in the reduction of electricity over a year or two.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques