Africanis Dog - Township dogs.

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

Africanis Dog - Township dogs.

Postby Serpent » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:03 pm

I thought I might post some pics of amazing two dogs, they are hunting dogs that are both from the townships.

These dogs have been used for hunting for thousands years, and can be traced back to the ancient Egypt. They are NOT half breeds or SPCA specials as commonly thought, they are dogs made for Africa, by Africa. Unfortunately most of the ones seen on Transkei roads or townships are inbred, diseased, emancipatedand and are ferrel. However when looked after they are beautiful animals, that are loyal, intelligent, obedient and very protective.

For a very interesting read and to learn about this wonderful breed of dog go to http://www.africanis.co.za

Cleo aged 6 months - Female from the drakensburg. Note the ear tip missing, the zulus do this to identify their dogs.

Mopane - Male from up north.

Thanks for looking.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Africanis Dog - Township dogs.

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

I've read the ancient Egyptians used a dog called a basenji (spelling?) which is a dog that does not bark and with a similar apperance to a whippet
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 am

I was just having a conversation with my dad about these dogs over the weekend.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:28 am

We have one of these, but ours is definetly derived from a whippet. She is also very loyal and protective over my mom, my brother and I. We found her on a farm where she was barricaded in with boxes, obviously to keep her from wandering away. Poor little thing
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 am

F1refly they can look very much like whippets but they are not derived from whippets. This is Cleo standing, she is quite thick set but has the same whippet body shape.

Africanis is an umbrella name which entails that they will differ slightly, but they have the same characteristics.
This one obviously has not grown up with a silver spoon like my two have, but is'nt he just awesome!
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 am

Post a pic of yours please bud, and also check out the website's gallery.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:47 am

Wonder if I can train them to keep monkeys away from my birds, rabbits, fruit trees and veggie patches... I've seen some very pretty ones.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:47 am

I love these.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:54 pm

I was led to believe they have tails which curled over their backs. I notice none of these have.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm

BV their tails curl up over their backs when they are on the move, like little aerials. They can run for incredible distances, mine can do 15kms easy, and quickly too, I am of course in a bakkie.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 pm

They may be diseased and inbred in the Townships but at least they have The Vote :lol:
I've seen these dogs all over Africa, but only showing their classical lines the more north you go. In Sudan, Chad, Libya and Niger these were the common street dog, all looking like they came from the same parents. Very common in homesteads. I'm further West now in Northern Guinea, and you see a mix, with these types being 80% of the dogs you see (We're close to Malian Border), and 20% being what looks like the result of an accidental collision between one of these and a St Bernard. Not a hell of a lot of dogs here though, the locals don't seem to like them very much.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 am

I don't know but really they just look like crossbreeds to me? Where do you draw the line between "Africanis" and "Crossbreed" because essentially are they not just normal crossbreds that have been crossbred so many times that it's not really clear what the "original" dog breed was?

Out of interest sake.. if you ever have some spare change, why not have your dog's DNA analyzed is see what was in the mix that created your pup???
http://www.bipedbiotech.com/
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chopper 1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

Poaching dogs rather than hunting dogs ;) These guys are a HUGE problem in our area on the game farms in Hoedspruit. They only "tongue" when they have something treed or cornered. Have shot many many of these dogs in the KNP and private farms. Well trained dogs of this species are wonderful to watch but the owners unfortunately do not worry about whos game they kill :idea:
To fly is Heavenly but to hover is Divine
Chopper 1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Chopper 1 that is the sad reality. I remember way back in Zimbabwe when it was still Rhodesia these dogs also used to steal chickens and livestock. The farmers also used to shoot them regularly. They were always skinny animals that I felt sorry for.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 pm

If raised in the right environment they are awesome animals, please do not confuse them with the inbred ferrel dogs that you are talking about. Ferrel dogs or cats for that matter, are another whole debate on their own, with nobody to blame other than mankind.

These dogs have been here they say for 7000 years, man's population explosion world wide, and in Africa has only really taken off in the past 300 years. Man created dog, therefore its our responsibilty to enure that we look after them. Unfortunately dogs are not treated very well in the townships, there are no vets let alone sterilisations. People barely have enough food for themselves, let alone to feed pets.

I am all for ferrel dogs and cats being shot, they are decimate the wild life, carry disease and steal live stock.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Other Pets