Ads vs Paid Membership

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Ads vs Paid Membership

Postby Mamba no 5 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

I Noticed that the site recently started showing advertisements from non-reptile sources. (Google ads)

And I don't like it one bit, so here is my Suggestion why don't you guys set up a paid membership system and then said paying members don't have to see that adds. (And n a cool color would be nice)

Kind Regards Mamba no 5.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ads vs Paid Membership

Postby kfc223 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm

I like the idea of paid membership, but it would have to have some perks. I would be more than willing to pay for a premium membership(pay once a year?) if it had a couple of perks.

Quite a few of the international forums have that.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I have similar thoughts.Whilst I understand why these adds are there and the need for better funding, I wish to convey my gratitude to the mods and admin, I feel the homeliness of the site we all love dearly is only slightly affected by this new move.
Another alternative could perhaps be the development of an SA Reptiles App, available for IOS or Android. These also can be made with an option to "buy" out of having Adverts, whilst the App itself can also be sold and thus generate funds.
I have no idea however what is involved in this kind of development, but many sites out there are going this route for revenue generation.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Permissions have been recently opened for Google web crawlers to index the content on this site after which we will start seeing ads with more relevance. This takes time and trial and error with settings to get the targeting right. I also got shivers when I saw ads for high heel shoes on our beloved forum.
Paid membership? Why would I want to charge people money to come on here and learn from information provided by other people out of the goodness of their hearts and for free? One can consider this for a website in it's inception but in this case it would be ethically corrupt.
IOS and android apps? I'm not sure what more a paid app could provide than simply using the browser for free couldn't besides maybe a field guide/bite protocol app? Keep brainstorming this, let's hear some ideas.

These changes have stemmed from advertisers not paying up and me having to foot the bill for hosting out of my own pocket. We wish to keep the information on this board free for everybody to access and share.

I know this is unsettling and was expecting a reaction from the community sooner or later. The income from Google ads is still to be seen and if it turns out to be lucrative we will be able to allocate funds and invite people to bid for funding for reptile conservation projects, antivenom, etc. This might be a very good thing. Can I ask that we give the ads a chance to target properly and have another look at it?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:09 pm

I Am all for waiting to see if the ads fix themselves.

Also, I Don't think there anything morally wrong with certain members paying a membership fee, as long as it is not required to access any "free" information on the site.
I Would very much to support this site and although money is tight right now (still in school) I feel that asking (example) R100 for a year-long "supporters" subscription which has certain cosmetic* perks is morally and ethically justified when you consider the other option, which is a site brimming with google ads.

By Cosmetic I suggest getting n nice and distinct username color and most importantly, not seeing ads. (They can still be visible to normal or non registered members if necessary)

Kind Regards, Mamba no 5.
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Just install an add-on called Adblock Pro, its free and all unwanted adds will be gone,
even the simple adds on you-tube is gone.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentraf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I don't think membership is the right word in this case it would almost be like a donation or contributor benifit. I'm sure there are a lot of members who would contribute, you guys do a great job.
1.1.0 Corn Snake (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)
1.0.0 Giant Ground Gecko (Chondrodactylus angulifer angulifer)
1.0.0 Dumerils Boa (Boa dumerili)
1.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Eryx colubrinus loveridgei)
I love JKS forever.
brentraf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AinslieZA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:16 am

Just putting in my two cents.

Adverts - Once the site has been indexed and the adds get more related to the content you will barely notice it, i mean who actually even see's the adds on Facebook anymore. Its like my peripheral vision even chooses to ignore that part of the Facebook interface.

Paid Membership - Now here is the controversial part of this discussion. However I'm for this kind of thinking. Like mentioned above your premium members do not carry or maintain the site financially but will be seen as a contribution, purchasing certain rights and "community status" on the site. There are many benefits that you can look at for premium members from customizable profile's/avatar's/profile pictures that set them apart from the rest, Locked discussion forums/Chat areas, clothing etc. But the point is that everyone looks at a team of guys wearing cool branded shirts and looking like a team and thinks, WOW how awesome will it be to be part of that team. That's what you pay for. lol....

I agree with Keeping the information on this forum Free! You can not put it into money in anyway. but know ill pay to be affiliated with it in some way, even if its just a patch on my shoulder ;) - Awesome site! awesome guys! (and girls)

I remember i was part of this forum that the paid members used to go on trips (obviously each person paid) but the membership was nothing more than a Donation like Brentraf said...

Like i said, Just my opinion, Be kind guys
"My Girlfriend left me because of my obsession with Linkin Park. But in the end, it doesn't even matter." :)

Veiled Chameleon - 1.1
AinslieZA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 am

AinslieZA wrote:Just putting in my two cents.

Adverts - Once the site has been indexed and the adds get more related to the content you will barely notice it, i mean who actually even see's the adds on Facebook anymore. Its like my peripheral vision even chooses to ignore that part of the Facebook interface.

Paid Membership - Now here is the controversial part of this discussion. However I'm for this kind of thinking. Like mentioned above your premium members do not carry or maintain the site financially but will be seen as a contribution, purchasing certain rights and "community status" on the site. There are many benefits that you can look at for premium members from customizable profile's/avatar's/profile pictures that set them apart from the rest, Locked discussion forums/Chat areas, clothing etc. But the point is that everyone looks at a team of guys wearing cool branded shirts and looking like a team and thinks, WOW how awesome will it be to be part of that team. That's what you pay for. lol....

I agree with Keeping the information on this forum Free! You can not put it into money in anyway. but know ill pay to be affiliated with it in some way, even if its just a patch on my shoulder ;) - Awesome site! awesome guys! (and girls)

I remember i was part of this forum that the paid members used to go on trips (obviously each person paid) but the membership was nothing more than a Donation like Brentraf said...

Like i said, Just my opinion, Be kind guys

I like this idea. I would not mind paying for a premium membership, or even a donation type thing. I would not mind donating some money to the forum.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Kakibos wrote:Just install an add-on called Adblock Pro, its free and all unwanted adds will be gone,
even the simple adds on you-tube is gone.

Works for me

kfc223 wrote:I like this idea. I would not mind paying for a premium membership, or even a donation type thing. I would not mind donating some money to the forum.

What he said, nothing wrong with an option to donate to the site
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mrs s'mee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:43 pm

@Froot....what exactly is your problem with high heels? :p
A few Cobras in your home will soon clear it of Rats and Mice. Of course, you will still have the Cobras.
William Jacob Cuppy (1884-08-23 – 1949-09-19)
mrs s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 pm

They're useless for herping, not that I tried them or anything.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby mrs s'mee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm

How else would you go looking for stiletto snakes?
A few Cobras in your home will soon clear it of Rats and Mice. Of course, you will still have the Cobras.
William Jacob Cuppy (1884-08-23 – 1949-09-19)
mrs s'mee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm

@ mrs s'mee

Hahahahahahaha.
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support