New park seeks feedback...

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Postby firefly » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:46 pm

I would build the park in one of two ways.

1-according to habitat. house all the tropical animals in one part, the dessert animals in another, and so forth. also reate the atmosphere of being in that type of climate. like if you are in the 'tropical' section u should feel the heat and humidity that the reptiles experience. heat the entire building or whatever and have misters and foggers. the same with the other 'regions'. the dessert part has got to be hot and dry as hell etc etc

2-house the animals in sections from their country of origin. shape your building and cages according to the continents and oslands they come from. hard, but something different

i would stay away from 'morph' and focus on natural animals. or have a complete seperate area for the exotic exotics.

if u want to be the coolest park in the world... get some marine iguanas!!!

o, and no reptile park is complete without ur standard komodo dragons...
firefly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby firefly » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:52 pm

o, and yes you will be able to switch their photoperiod. as long as you do it in a very insulated room and make sure that you get the day temps down so they think it is night. this will be hard if u use infra red lights... think of one way glass. this will allow people to see the animals and prevent animals from scratching against glass. a reptile trying to get out of a cage is a very bad thing for a member of the public.
firefly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kouthia » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 am

Yeah, I have seen it done at the Zoo with noct creatures. They use a "black light" and switch the photoperiods.

Animals look pretty happy to me.
Kouthia
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby fatboy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:13 am

the problem with red eye tree frogs is they suck as display animals due to the fact that when it is night time they go dark olive green so you can hardly see them, and during the day they just fold up and sleep, i suggest getting poison arrow frogs as display animals
fatboy
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping