Africanis Dog - Township dogs.

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

Re: Africanis Dog - Township dogs.

Postby Serpent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

As for the poaching part, that is another whole debate on its own, and is about who's land belongs to whom etc.
Mine dont hunt, steal or tresspass, they are just awesome dogs to keep.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Serpent wrote: I am all for ferrel dogs and cats being shot, they are decimate the wild life, carry disease and steal live stock.

Agreed!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 pm

It's obvious which one it is, and excuse the date, these pics were taken a while ago

Here names Meer or Mia or whatever the hell you want to pronounce it. It's supposed to be a shortening or Meerkat, but we just call her Meer or Mia or whatever.
I've never seen a dog move this fast, she would give a good greyhound a run for his title
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Does anyone know where I can get one in a couple of years or so?
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Nice F1refly! Looks very cute, and naughty just like mine.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

I sent this link to my Fiancé Nicole and she said that I should post some pics of our own Africanis which we imported last year from Northern Angola. Her name in Luma (Zulu for bite!) and she is a high white piebald specimen and a visible het for ridge back ;)

One day I was called out to capture an aggressive feral dog which had bit someone here in Angola. It turned out that she had puppies and was only being a good mom. Anyway this dog had such a good personality that I had to release her again. Days after the capture she started to follow our vehicle and come visit us at our accommodation camp (which was not allowed btw) and basically became our dog here in Angola. When Nicole's contract in Angola was up she could not bare to leave Luma behind and insisted that we import this Angolan pavement special back to SA which we did after much drama (We felt like Eugene trying to get a chimp back to Chimp Eden) Don't even ask the cost because I could have bought a couple of real Piebald pythons for the amount of USD$ she cost us!

Now Luma lives the good life on our farm in Bela-Bela with her new sisters Serum (Bull Terrier) And Shushka (Chow Chow). She is a real poacher dog in my opinion and has such a hunting instinct which almost caused us to lose her after being horned by our bull Nyala (More vet bills!!)

These dogs are all over the place in Angola and look as if they are all related in some way. When we look at Luma now we cannot believe the that we actually got her home from rural Angola (Don't ask me why but it may have something to do with my American Fiancé who loves the scatterlings of Africa)

She still loves to dig hole to sleep in. You can take the dog out of Angola but you can't take the Angola out of the dog!

Poacher or house dog?
The misfit pack, Serum; Shushka and Luma

Lumas favorite activity, a morning patrol found the farm.

Hope those Africanis fans out there enjoy
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 am

I saw one of these dogs yesterday in Irene, it was walking behind the owner. Was like the first pictures, but smaller and had a curl in the tail

I would not have noticed the dog if it wasn't for this topic :D
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 am

Awesome little dog bud! For a very interesting read on these dogs www.africanis.co.za
My male is from the creator of this website.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pytoxic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:38 pm

I often go to the Transkei, there are always feral dogs around there. There was a female who would come with us when we went fishing at night she would sit by the bait and rods and bark at everyone who walked past. I am pretty sure she did this because we often give her the bait scraps :lol:
Nic
Ball Pythons:
0.1 Normal BP
0.1 Pastel BP
1.0 Fire BP
pytoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby artmac » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks for the read on the Africanis. I have worked among the people in rural areas of northern Kwazulu Natal (Zululand) and have found these type dogs to be fascinating. Operating as a pack they are ruthless and extremely cunning. I encountered them extensively in the Mondi and Sappi forests whom they roamed with their owners. It was evident that they were very well looked after and were obedient.
artmac
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Other Pets