Green Iguana's

Green Iguana's

Postby Tkryan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 am

Hey all

Just after a bit of advise, Ive been keeping Herps for bout 8 years. had bearded dragon's, chinese water dragons, Basilisks and a Argentine black and white Tegu.

ive always been very fond of Iguana's but hesitant because of stories i have read, heard.

Are they really as bad as people make them out to be?

When i say bad i mean, Temperament, difficulty in taming, sudden aggression?

I would really love to add one of these guys to my family.

any info would be greatly appreciated
Tkryan
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Green Iguana's

Postby Lillypod » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am

I've heard people complain about their iguanas and have met people that have great iguanas (according to them), I would guess it all depends on the individual animal and the work the owner puts in.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 am

I don't have experience with lizards but my opinion is that most reptiles can be tamed according to the work and effort that the owner puts in to their animal. (when I say most, that's excluding venomous).

For example I have carpet pythons and by nature they are known to be aggressive and very nippy nut I have never had that problem with mine, they are chilled and have a lovely temperament.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wazted » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am

I have had my 2 iguanas for 4years now, since they were babies. I handle them daily and give them a lot of attention and although both will eat from your hand if you hold food towards them, my male can be very aggresive with tail whipping and not easy to handly.If you come to close to him, he will start whipping you until you start touching him then he will calm down and allow you to stroke him. My female on the other hand is a dream she will jump on you as soon as you open the cage and has never bit/ or whipped me, she can be a bit hyper but is super chilled. I was called by a friend about a month ago to catch an iguana on a busy street in durban (couldnt believe it) and it was another male, and this guy is crazy (biting, whiping even rolling) so I have given him a seperate set up and he eats and is wounds on his face are healing well but he is barely handable. So yes I believe that the amount of effort you put you in you will get out but males do seem to be a lot more aggresive (from my own experience). I have even read articles ( i Dont know if its true) about iguanas going mad if a women comes near them during their time of month (http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/season.html). They do get quite large, eat like trucks and their nails can hurt quite alot but they stil make awesome pets! If you have had expierience with keeping lizards you shouldnt have to hard of a time although I wont compare them to beardies at all.
Wazted
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm one of those that had a bad experience. But I must add I bought her semi adult and she never calmed down. I had scratches on my arms from the day I got her until I sold her. But I do believe when you get them from young age they do get puppy tame. Like with any other lizzard. My beardie I got as a hatchling and she is super tame and have never shown aggression towards me.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tkryan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you for all the Info! i am relly keen to get one just trying to get some insight from people that actually have experience with them. Right now its between a Bosc monitor, green iguana or another argentine black and white tegu and trying to make a decision before the expo just incase i find something :D
Tkryan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wazted » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 pm

I must say I got a bosch monitor a few months ago and he is an awesome critter but he eats a lot! which is a bit more expensive then feeding iguanas, but yeah he doesnt scratch or bite me just hisses when you disturb him. Compared to my iguanas where i look like i have suicidal tendencies daily lol!
Wazted
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm

I also have a young bosc and he has never bitten us, just hissed a few times.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Personally, I'd It were me with those three as the options, I'd go for the Tegu in a heartbeat. Bear in mind however that the cost of the animal itself is much higher than those of both the other candidates combined.

I've known many tame iguana's and not so many tame Bosc monitors. I'm of the opinion that an iguana is a lot more "work" from a husbandry perspective, prepping fresh veg daily is about the only gripe I had but my experience is limited to only a few weeks of care.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tkryan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

If i can find a reasonably priced Tegu that will probably be my first choice. Although i do really really want a Iguana people are making me anxious and nervous about it. Getting so many mixed opinions about the iguana and Bosc monitor. feeding insects is no problem to me have a extremely large breeding colony of Roaches, but then preparing fresh fruit and veg is also no problem because i do it everyday for my Wifes Macaw anyway. :smt017

Im just Aiming for what will overall be the nicest lizard to interact with, I am a very hands on person and enjoy the interaction with Lizards.

Caging and space is not a problem for me. Im looking for temprement and stable personality.
Tkryan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mania » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 pm

I have to agree with Wazted, male iguanas are more agro in my eperience with them. But had a female that was soo relaxed, she use to roam the house, never showed one sign of aggression to myself or any dogs that came near it. Feeding was easy as I bought already cut stuff tossed it together, some days adding a bit of fruit.

Also had a bosc monitor and at first it used to hiss and run into his hide but after about a month he became very relaxed, but also easy to feed.

But Out of the three lizards you mentioned I would also say the tegu has the best personality of the lot, also roaming the house and lay in the sun not bothered by anything. Easy to feed, but like others have said the price is high.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tkryan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Im not too concerned about the price of a Tegu. Just dont think thats my first choice. i really love the look of Iguana's and seems as if you can get them tame they are awesome but so many mixed opinions from what i have read u get one thats extremely chilled and then next wants to kill everything in sight :smt022

So confused.......

See my issue is i have 2 daughters, although they are old enough to understand and know to stay away from the Reptiles and will never be unsupervised around any of our animals i have to be cautious with my decision
Tkryan
SA Reptiles Member

Return to American Lizards