Bad molt- Red Rump

Bad molt- Red Rump

Postby Joanie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 pm

My Red Rump seems to have gotten stuck in a molt and isn’t moving. I have no idea how to help it. :smt022 When I left this morning it was in this position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy snakes, and that's pretty much the same thing..
Joanie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bad molt- Red Rump

Postby cascade » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 am

That looks pretty bad, I can see that the legs seem to have gone the opposite way and are pointing upwards.

I'm going to say if the spider has not moulted out by tomorrow and if it has not died all ready, it is going to be better to put the spider into the freezer and put her to sleep. :(

There is no way to save a spider that looks like that with out having to cut the spider out of its molt and then the chances of the spider surviving, after you fiddling with it, is also slim.
And then one can only do so if the spider has torn the cast skin and started molting the natural way.

I have had 2 cases of spider that looked like yours, one was mine and the other spider to someone else.
My spider had 5 legs that were opposite way round, which in turn, she could not push out of her molt, So I tried helping her by cutting her out of her molt got it right to get her out, but she lost 4 legs. but died shortly after wards.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:02 am

Try cutting her out. You have nothing to lose.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Joanie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Ag, its too late. She's dead. :( last night she didn't move at all even when I tried to move her.
Thanks for the advice though. Any idea what would cause such thing? I certainly do not want a recurrence of this with my other Ts.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy snakes, and that's pretty much the same thing..
Joanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Sorry to hear that she didn't make it. The cause would most likely have been insufficient humidity or hydration.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joanie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Yes, I've read up abit since and figured it would be that. But I don't get it cos she had a water bowl and her tub gets misted twice a week. :smt017
Anyway, will be more mindful of the humidity & hydration going forward.
Thanks
Joanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Did you ever feed her a pink? That's also a bad idea.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Joanie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:13 pm

No pinks, just super worms which she chowed down on never missing a meal. Real sad to have lost her this way :smt009
I think it was the humidity. I don't have them on a heating pad cos the temp in their room is usually +-26C so its pretty warm and there's condensing on their tubs on most days. Perhaps I should get them some heating before the cooler months set in.
Joanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cascade » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 am

You don't really need to worry about heating just yet.
When we hit winter and the temps start to drop lower than 10 to 15 degrees, all day, then you can start worrying about heating.
As long as the days are warm then your spiders will be fine.
Your room is still nice and warm.

I would suggest you change your spiders diets, give them crickets or roaches as well.

Not everything is down to Humidity, it is not really an issue with such a large spider, well any spider for that mater of fact, from time to time spider have bad molts, it what happens. Humidity does help them though, but it is not a problem if you don't increase the humidity on time.

The fact that the spider legs are facing upwards means the spider had something else go wrong during the molting process.
Also the fact that spider was on he's under carriage.

As I said before spiders can just have bad molts, it happens and it is part of keeping them.
Spiders can have wet molts, where they are soaked and they look like a see through octopus.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 am

Ensuring that the feeder insects on offer are properly hydrated is also important.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stanthegecko » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:36 pm

I know is a late post but I have lost a p.ornata the same way she was in the molt for 2 weeks eventually I tried to cut her out...I managed but the next day she had passed.
Stanthegecko
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping