Something nice!

Something nice!

Postby kfc223 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:32 am

Hello everyone.

Thought I post some pics of the latest housies to hatch here. The season started normally, I decided to pair a albino het anery/hypo/ghost male to my rather large het albino female. This was a friend's male and I have never used him before. Last year the female laid 12 eggs, 9 where albino and 3 het's(pretty good odds). The male was quite the stud and started doing the deed within minutes, I kept introducing them till he stopped showing interest. After that it was the usual two month wait for eggs, she looked massive(heavily gravid)! I was thinking she would do way better than the previous year and lay at least 15 eggs. This was a great example of don't count your eggs before they are laid, she laid 4 very big eggs. I was quite bummed, so I just put them in the incubator and forgot about them for two months. Once it reached 50 days I started checking on the eggs daily. At day 60 the first egg pipped(het), I cut the rest of the eggs and saw that the ratio looked 50/50 albino and het. That was until the first "albino" hatched, it was super light with bright red eyes. I waited for the rest to hatch and it seems like I hatched one double het, one possible anery/hypo/ghost, one albino het anery/hypo/ghost and one Snow/Hybino/sunglow. Great odds for four eggs!

So here are some shots:

A comparison of the snow and its albino sibling.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Something nice!

Postby AneryCobra » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:34 am

Nice!
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Craigh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:57 am

Wow! Congrats man, that really is something nice!

I have to admit to being confused about the genetics involved in making a housie 'snow' though, in corns a snow is a result of co-dominant amel and anery genes in one snake. In this case is it essentially a hypo t- albino or what??

whatever it is it's an awesome looking specimen!

Craig
Craigh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 am

It depends who you ask, half of the guys call the blue/gray morph anery and the other half call them hypo. A easier term to use is a ghost because that means it could be either hypo or anery(ball pythons too?). These are supposed to be t+ albino father but if you look at the eyes on the snow/hybino you can see it is very red which would suggest that it is T-, housies can be quite complicated.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 am

Craigh wrote:...in corns a snow is a result of co-dominant amel and anery genes in one snake. ....Craig

Where do you see co-dominant genes in a corns snake? Those are both recessive genes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Exotenparadies » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Really reall nice.Ufortuanal ther aren´t so much morphs avaiable in Germany.
Hope you understand my english.
Exotenparadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Stunning snakes!

The only co-domiant gene in corn snakes i know of is tessera. I was always under the impression that ghost was a combination of both anery A and hypo not one or the other?
Mouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Mouse wrote:Stunning snakes!

The only co-domiant gene in corn snakes i know of is tessera. I was always under the impression that ghost was a combination of both anery A and hypo not one or the other?

I am pretty sure Tessera corns are Dominant, not having a super form.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Craigh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Bushviper wrote:
Craigh wrote:...in corns a snow is a result of co-dominant amel and anery genes in one snake. ....Craig

Where do you see co-dominant genes in a corns snake? Those are both recessive genes.

ya :oops: :oops: my bad.....what I meant was that the anery gene and the amel gene together cause the 'snow' phenotype, right idea, wrong wording...

@mouse, tessera is technically dominant and not co-dominant since all offspring will show tessera stripe and there is no 'super' form.....and you forgot about 'Buf'

With regard to the actual thread my point in asking the question was to find out if similar genes (to corn snakes) exist in the wild housie population because then there is scope for creating many more morphs than what we currently have as new mutations are discovered and bred out.

My understanding may well be wrong but this is how I have it at the moment:

"ghost" housies are actually a form of anery
"t+albino" is a form of hypo
"t- albino" is a true albino
"snow" is ?? (from KFC223's last post it sounds like a ghost X t - albino?)
"green" morph is ?? (no idea? some sort of hypo??)

Its thanks to the likes of Don Soderberg and Kathy Love that so much work has been done on developing and discovering corn morphs in America, I find it exciting that things seem to be developing the same way with the Brown House snake right here in SA, just a pity that nobody has scientifically researched the genetic background and published results for all of us to build on.

Craig
Craigh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mouse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks, learnt something new
Mouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 pm

T+ and T- are still albino, not hypo.

I doubt the green housies are still capensis but rather fuligonosis, they have been bred to albino capensis to produce lumino(morph). Lumino was bred to Lumino and the result was a 1 in 16 chance of getting "butter" house snakes. Which is an albino Lumino, these are technically intergrades/hybrids.

Very nice snakes none the less.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Craigh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 pm

kfc223 wrote:T+ and T- are still albino, not hypo.

I doubt the green housies are still capensis but rather fuligonosis, they have been bred to albino capensis to produce lumino(morph). Lumino was bred to Lumino and the result was a 1 in 16 chance of getting "butter" house snakes. Which is an albino Lumino, these are technically intergrades/hybrids.

Very nice snakes none the less.

Cool, thanks! Learnt some interesting stuff today, now its time to start on my own breeding projects :cool:

Craig
Craigh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Well done Justin, now you have bred every morph except for the pied one.

With your four eggs did you get a Normal het, Albino, Anery and ofcourse the Snow?
I'm not sure because of all the different names for every single one.

Plus almost every locality color.

You sure do love your housies.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 am

Yes I did. Talk about great odds.

I like to be modest, but yes it seems like I have produced some nice stuff.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sillybilly » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 am

That is 100% correct kfc223.
The green house snakes are not capensis and are actually fuligonosis.
I currently have a few hatchlings that are lumo and of course waiting to breed for my butter chance.
The picture you posted is great, those red eyes really pop on the lighter scale colour.
I am assuming from the post that you only had a small clutch to work with.
Great odds for what hatched, congratulations.
Its great to see that the passion for our indigenous is strong.
Keep up the good work.
sillybilly
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)