ID the snake please

South African snakes with venoms that are considered to be medically important.

View Gallery

ID the snake please

Postby Bearhug » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 am

A friend of mine caught this snake in his house. He used welding gloves and the snake bit the gloves and would not let go. I suspect that it could be a boomslang but the dark band on his neck worries me slightly. The snake is a juvenile about 12 inches long. Pardon the bad quality of the photos.

Photo0162.jpg

Photo0161.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bearhug
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ID the snake please

Postby Bearhug » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:21 am

Can this be a small cobra???
Bearhug
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 am

I'm pretty sure it's a small Snouted Cobra.

Be very careful and well done for not killing it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpent » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am

I fail to see how you can confuse a snouted cobra with a boomslang, did the little guy not throw a hood? Boomslangs have a very different shape head to that, as well as very different scale patterns. Your friend is lucky to be alive, as welding gloves offer little protection against snake bites.

What do you plan to do with the snake? Release it?
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bearhug » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:28 am

Serpent wrote:I fail to see how you can confuse a snouted cobra with a boomslang, did the little guy not throw a hood? Boomslangs have a very different shape head to that, as well as very different scale patterns. Your friend is lucky to be alive, as welding gloves offer little protection against snake bites.

What do you plan to do with the snake? Release it?

Yes, I am planning to release it since I do not keep venomous snakes.
Bearhug
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:36 am

I agree, a small snouty. If you don't know what it is you shouldn't handle it. Stay away from the sharp end.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bearhug » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am

Blake wrote:I agree, a small snouty. If you don't know what it is you shouldn't handle it. Stay away from the sharp end.

Thanx Blake, but I never handle venomous snakes. After almost been bitten by a green mamba in a collection I had, the closest I get to it is the instruments I use to catch it. Since that day, I vowed never to handle venomous snakes ever again. I am happy to only keep my python and red tail boa.

This little guy was set free on a game farm outside our town.
Bearhug
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:29 pm

I fail to see how you can confuse a snouted cobra with a boomslang

Easy, just like you'd mistake a cubic zirconia for a diamond if you weren't a gemologist and did not know what properties to look for.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm

froot wrote:

Easy, just like you'd mistake a cubic zirconia for a diamond if you weren't a gemologist and did not know what properties to look for.

Love it. Even a piece of tumbled glass or a quartz looks like a diamond to me.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Bushviper wrote:
froot wrote:

Love it. Even a piece of tumbled glass or a quartz looks like a diamond to me.

So I guess ignorance is bliss then, that's what you two are saying is it not? Catching, keeping and then releasing snakes without a clue of whether the snake is venomous, harmless or exotic is all good, as long as you post a "please ID" on SAReptiles to find out what it is.

Can you two tell the difference between a diamond and an emerald? Or a sapphire and a ruby? Well I can and I am not even a gemologist. My point is if you don't even know the difference between a boomslang and snouted cobra, you probably should not be meddling with them.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 am

Why is it that those who know the least always seem to say the most ?It must be a Google thing.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Oh and there comes TonyK with another cheap shot! How predictable, must be a geriatric thing.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Serpent you should really watch your tone on the forums.

If you read the story it starts with "A friend of mine caught this snake in his house.". That means the person that contacted us was trying to find out on behalf of his friend, or just for his own interest. He did not catch it, keep it or release it.

You are tendering for the "special class" so dont try to be a keyboard warrior.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Bushviper I admit that my tone was not favouable, and I admit that I did not read the text properly, and for that part I apologise.

I will however not be quiet when people make sarcastic remarks to me or about me. I am no keyboard ninja or warrior, and do not hide behind my computer or say things online that I would not say to you in person. If you knew me personally you would know that I am not an individual that takes anything lying down.

Point taken.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm

The remark was not sarcastic. I honestly could not identify those gems mentioned.

Many people have called me and said the either have a mamba or a cape cobra in their garden. I also wonder how someone can confuse those two especially when they live in Midrand. I have even heard that "its either a king cobra or a rinkhals". How many "green mambas" have turned out to be bush snakes even in Gauteng. Puff adders have been identified as rattlesnakes and one "rattlesnake" was an eggeater.

I have seen and heard it all.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous highly venomous snakes