Fiber Glass Tubs

Fiber Glass Tubs

Postby reptilefeeders » Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 am

Hello All

I was looking for tubs to make a rack system for adult Ball pythons, corn snakes etc and found these nice large tubs ( 1240mm x 630mm x 300mm). The only problem is these tubs are really expensive. Between R800 and R1000 a tub.

I was wondering if anybody has tried to copy tubs by making them out of fiber glass? Would something like that work? Strength wise and heating up with heating wire.
I was thinking of putting 2 or 3 layers of glass down and once its dried to sand it down and then cover with a gel coat.

Another question- would these fiber glass tubs be safe to use with breeding mice and rats or would they be able to chew through it?
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Fiber Glass Tubs

Postby it_bit_me » Sun May 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Personally I hate working with fibreglass. Wouldn't it be be beter to build with wood?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptilefeeders » Sun May 05, 2013 7:47 pm

@ It_bit_me - I guess I could make these size “tubs” out of melamine with the front part having a window with either Perspex or glass. I think the heating would be an issue. Getting the heat through 16mm melamine so that it still heats up to 30’c.
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun May 05, 2013 8:23 pm

The sizes you are talking are too big and the the prices you saw ridiculous. 110L Tubs are more than enough and they cost R150.
The average tub size for adult females in the US is 50L - 80x40x15. :smt017
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun May 05, 2013 8:54 pm

What I dont get is that you seem to be hunting for tubs when an bigger cage can be built out of wood. Heating and cleaning is not an issue unless you have 20 snakes or more. Why people would pay more for less I don't know.

An rack with 110L tubs x12 Will cost
Wood R900
Tubs R1800

An wooden cage with similar sizes
R1200
Glass R800
Backing R160
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 am

I have tubs which are 1.2 metres long and 56 wide and 17 high. They cost R300 each. Just build a decent rack for them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Where can I get some of those?
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptilefeeders » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 pm

I would love to pay that price for the tubs. The cheapest that I could find is R850 each.
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Unfortunately they are in Pretoria. I had them imported from China.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Rack systems