baby beardie with mbd

baby beardie with mbd

Postby Mr Jingles » Tue May 14, 2013 2:29 pm

I could see something is not right with Roger, our baby beardie. We have him now almost a week, bought him with his enclosure from a local petshop. His enclosure was a mess, there was incorrect substrate, mould underneath,, no UV light and huge crickets in the cage. Ì cleaned and washed the cage, changed the substrate and put in a astroturf sheet and immediatly connected a decent 10.0 UV. He refused to eat and stuggled to move around. I took him to the vet today and the vet confirmed that he has early stage mbd. It only affected his front left leg and his jaw. He is now on syringe feed with baby butternut and liquified crics, together with a multi vitamine. Vet said I caught it early so he is happy with him and that he will grow to be a happy dragon. Vet also said that he is coler to 3 months than the 6 months the petshop told me.
We will syringe feed him for a couple of days until his natural eating has established.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Jingles
SA Reptiles Member

Re: baby beardie with mbd

Postby Mamba no 5 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Is there a watchdog agency that monitors Petshops for these kinds of things?
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Jingles » Tue May 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I don't know. I took him to the owner to see and all he said was that he sold them on behalf of someone else. However I'm glad that I got him as at least I can afford the vet
Mr Jingles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 am

Make sure your beardie gets some real sunlight (give him some shade as well) and a few hours a week will boost his condition very quickly. Dont let the sun shine through glass but a wire cage will be best. They are tough little guys.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mr Jingles » Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 pm

That's always the best, in the week is difficult, but I plan to picnic with him outside this weekend so he can feel better. I have follow up visit with the vet tomorrow so hopefully we can finalise his treatment from here on forward.
Mr Jingles
SA Reptiles Member

Re: baby beardie with mbd - we are getting better

Postby Mr Jingles » Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 am

After a week now with syringe feed for little Roger, he took 2 small superworms on his own today. And he has normal looking poop today. He has moved around a lot yesterday. He looks so cute when he scurries around with the deformed front leggie. We are still doing water therapy each day to strenghen the front legs, but the vet is happy thus far. He will go for another follow up on Tuesday. I feel so happy about, he even lifts his head up and looks a lot better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Jingles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Thats good to read. Good luck with him.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mr Jingles » Mon May 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Roger seems to be on the mending path, he took 4 superworms on his own today, vet was on duty so I took him for his follow up. Dr de Beer is very happy with how well he is responding. Going to continue with extra calsium and water therapy and dr wants to see him again in 6 weeks. Roger will never be a normal beardie, but he will be our special beardie
Mr Jingles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Clearly Rodger found the right home for him. Glad he is in the mend. :)
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Jingles » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Thank you, he is doing great. Completely off syringe feed, eating both crickets and worms.
Mr Jingles
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)