My Banded Snouted Cobra

My Banded Snouted Cobra

Postby kfc223 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 am

Hello everyone

I've started keeping venomous recently, my main interest is elapids. I'm trying to keep the collection mainly indigenous, species that I would like to get in the near future include Rinkhals, some Aspidelaps spp and hopefully some Cape Cobras in the future if I can find ones on permit.

Here are some pictures of my male Banded Snouted Cobra, he's still a small guy but I hope he turns into a real stunner in the future. He is behaving like a typical snouty and has the feeding response of one!

Here is home showing off, I just love the hood of Snouted Cobras.

Here he is trying to be sneaky.

Hope everyone likes the shots.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Banded Snouted Cobra

Postby LizardLover » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:32 am

Now for some rinkhals! He's a nice looking snouted, but he needs a gal.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 am

Justin that is one sexy looking juvenile, nicely photographed too.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 am

I think he's enjoying being photographed, I mean look as his smile in the first photo.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:40 am

Love that snouted!
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 am

Very nice bud, so you finally got yourself something venomous and I think you have made a great choice! They do very well in captivity, and there is antivenom for them which helps. Lovely looking little guy.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Reminds me of when I got my first hot, my namib corals.
Be extra careful and use protection
Don't get bitten, and be weary of the hordes of girls now sending you pm's and fb friend requests.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Make a post here !!
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=23588
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:57 pm

JKA = amazing.

KFC i must say i wouldn't have ever suggested that as a " starter"
Get tagged and myself and Rian shal pay you a visit to kick you in the ass.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kfc223 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Thank you all for the kind word everyone.

Especially JKA

@Mr Ping that's a debatable point, I don't feel I should get a certain species because its classified as a "starter venomous". I could have started with one of the Aspidelaps yet some would argue that keepers tend to become complacent with them either because they calm down or that they aren't considered to highly venomous(even though Angolan corals have two recorded fatalities) , I do plan on keeping corals but I made the concise decision to start with a Snouted Cobra.

Why did I do this? First of all I have interest in Elpaids especially Naja. I did not want to start with an exotic because of availability of antivenom and the ability of local hospitals in treating a bite. I thought of starting with Rinkhals, but I didn't because they are spitters. I do plan on buying a few in the near future, but not as a first.

As far as first venomous snakes go, I would rather start with a species that I have a genuine interest in. But obviously common sense has to come into play too, I would like to keep Dendroaspis but it would not be a wise decision to get one as a first venomous.

My point is I am happy with my decision, sure I could have chose other species but some guys start Echis and Crotalus. A Shouted Cobra is a deadly highly venomous species that is could easily kill me without antivenom. I can not say I will never be tagged but I can take all the necessary precautions, ensure my handing is not flawed and be prepared in case of a bite. I live a block from the nearest hospital and I am checking in to ensure they have antivenom on hand. We have a strict policy in the house to prevent someone from opening the wrong enclosure, all enclosures are locked and no one may enter my snake room without my supervision. If I get to the point that I have a large indigenous venomous collection I would look at stocking antivenom.

Hope this answers anyone's concerns and goes to show people that I am not some cowboy or irresponsible.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 pm

I agree that a snoutie isn't an ideal "starter hot" (seeing some people start with Echis). I'm sure KFC knows how to safely handle a dangerous reptile by now, unlike some people who start with a venomous snake without even doing a snake handling course.

In the early stages the handling will also be fairly basic and almost identical to a Coral snake so the technique really won't be tested.
it sounds pretty well planned.

For now the main thing is that the snake is indigenous and antivenom is freely available (we hope so).
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:05 am

Very nice Justin, my favourite snake.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:40 am

I think the right snouted cobra can be a perfect starter. If it has such a wicked feeding response it should keep you on your toes and your chances of becoming complacent is very slight. Most bites will be feeding strikes so be careful of that. They are not known to be bad tempered like many of the other cobras. Starting with a captive bred baby is obviously a big help as they just seem to do so much better.

Rinkhals are also a great snake if you have to still learn. They dont always spit and some calm down within a matter of weeks and can lead you to become complacent. Venom sensitivity is a factor whenever you are thinking about keeping any spitting snake though.

I have never found a N. nivea that was a pleasure to handle. They have all wanted to kill me! Some Forest cobras have been easy and some have been rather "bold" and will approach you with intent. Mozambique spitters are just evil little buggers who take great pleasure in trying to get you in the eyes even after years in captivity.

I think Snouteds are such easy captives.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Snouted cobras are possibly not THE best "starter hot" on the list, but that we could debate on all day. At least it's not a WDR or a cotton mouth, he has chosen something local that is cheap and easy to acquire, and is very treatable. They eat well, they become very docile in captivity and are actually low maintainance easy snakes to keep.

Justin is a smart young lad that has done his research, he is more competent than a large number reptile cowboy that we have to endure.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Fooble wrote:JKA = amazing.

KFC i must say i wouldn't have ever suggested that as a " starter"
Get tagged and myself and Rian shal pay you a visit to kick you in the ass.

I will pay for the petrol.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)