Dermestid beetles? or similar?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Dermestid beetles? or similar?

Postby Bernice » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:58 pm

High there guys!

I am once again reaching out to the fantastic people of the reptile forum! who have so many contacts and are infallible in every way! :D :-P ;-)

I am trying to get my hands on Dermestid beetles, or any but that will do a similar job... does anyone here have any? of know someone that has any?
Long story short I am looking for a bug to help me clean a small rabbit skeleton, that will do a good job of cleaning small and fragile bones without destroying them...

Any help? any advice?
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Dermestid beetles? or similar?

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Mealworms will also work if you dont come right.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Primogen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:45 pm

After the insects have had there way you can boil the bones in soda ash for an about an hour then rinse the remaining gunk off this gives clean white bones.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Poepstring » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:27 pm

You guys do some taxidermy work?
Poepstring
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi there! thanks a ton for the advice! I came right with boiling the daylights out of the rabbit, and washing the bones with enzyme based laundry detergent and hydrogen peroxide... I will remember the mealworms and soda ash if I ever get a brilliant Idea like this again... I still think Im an idiot for trying it...

It took 2 days to re-articulate the skeleton but Im happy as a clam!
Here's a pic of the finished skeleton... its a cell pic so not brilliant... but you get the idea...

Rabbit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Excellent work!

I tried this as a youngster as well, but didn't come out nearly as impressive as this.

Is this your first attempt or do you have some other examples to show us?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bernice » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks westley *blushies*

No, no other work, this is my very first attempt at this, Im very happy with how it came out!

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 am

What do you plan to do with the bunny now if i may ask?
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Im studying to be a teacher, it is going to have pride of place in my classroom :)
Right after I put it in a glass case so the little blighters cant touch, fondle or break it...

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:36 pm

An annoying problem with bones is that they tend to yellow and flake eventually, thats why they normally end up getting painted white.
You could put a clear coat of a epoxy finisher on it that would stop the yellowing for a good long while.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions